Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Field Editor

What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

I'm looking for your personal opinion on sleeping pads that have worked well for you and kept you warm while backpack hunting during rifle season.

I'm also interested in any that you had a bad experience with.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

Andy, interesting topic. I've had about all of them and there seem to be pros and cons of all.
I have found out that anything that can leak, will.
I like closed cell foams for durability---not the most comfort of them all.
That all being said, I am looking at the Big Agnes QL SL. New for this year---just over a pound and 3.5 inches thick. I am trying to come up with something light (tyvek maybe) underneath to prevent punctures from rocks which is mostly what I end up sleeping on. Imagine that, rocks in Idaho...........
I also like closed cell foam for quickness----you can get up and out in the morning fast.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Field Editor

Randy,

It sounds like you don't like to carry a closed cell pad plus your inflatable? Just too much bulk and/or weight?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I would do that if i was winter camping and I am thinking of doing it early season with a really thin ensolite pad for the ground---I think they are about 8 ounces which is worth it for me. I am actually going to go spike camping for a wolf here in the next week or so I plan on trying out some new gear.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Andy and others,
This is a pretty good site for some gear and their closed cell pads are really good. I use one that I cut up for a sit pad.

ProLite Gear EvoPad 1/4

Randy

Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

Showing my age ...paid $69 for largest thermarest back in the mid 1990s and used it in CO every year for 6-7 years with no problem at 10,000'. It stands-full blown- behind the door in the den @ 72 degrees. Last used 2002.

Hope the 4 Y.O. G.D. grows up quick so we can all go after ELK one time before I pass it all to her.

Added: Randy, got that type from Army-Navy store here and have not needed it yet, but it is in the trailer, along with another 1,000 lb of junk.
Will take it for that Emergency Over Night Stay @11,000" when I go that direction or under the T-rest pad if we ever camp again.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

NeoAir™ All Season

Plenty warm, packs very small (quart water bottle), quite light (regular is 19oz) and literally the most comfortable camping mattress I've every slept on.

A slightly lighter alternative at 15 oz. for a regular: Therm-a-Rest® NeoAir

Use this XTRA SMALL size Thermarest 'Fast and Light' stuff sack for the approx. quart size water bottle package when packed: Therm-a-Rest Fast and Light Stuff Sack | Backcountry.com

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl