Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What kind of foods do you bring with you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What kind of foods do you bring with you.

Strider, well now we know what it not so how about telling us what it is that makes up the 16oz/2000 calories???
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 AM

It doesn't matter how long I'm out for whether it be for a day or a week but I always have to have some Gatorade, an orange, peanut M&Ms or Snickers, and beef jerky. I also like to throw in some honey roasted peanuts to.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Heater meals.com has hot meals that are ready in minutes at reasonable prices they taste good as well!!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

I use a super light weight Esbit Stove and my main food is oatmeal and dried blueberries that I put into the boiling water at the same time and make sure you have salt and put a little into all meals and drinks your body needs it to replenish the salt lost when you perspire I back this up with energy/granola bars.

If I am able to shoot a grouse/rabbit I'll boil it in the same pot that I use for the oatmeal this pot has holes so I can slip a long wire handle into it and hang it over a fire the Esbit stove isn't for this type of cooking it doesn't generate enough heat.

Drinks = I bring tea bags and once again use the same pot that I cook the oatmeal in don't need the added weight of a cup.

A trick when using the Esbit stove is to either wrap it with tinfoil or dig a little hole and lower the stove in so the fuel cells are out of the wind and your pot is almost touching the ground. (I use both methods)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

My favorite so far are breakfast burritos. I use a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage, 13 eggs (scrambled), small potatoes (cut into small cubes) some cheese, and salsa. Experiment with the proportions. I just make them up, and wrap in foil, and then bake until the cheese melts. They store great in plastic storage bins. You can eat them cold, or warm them over the edge of a fire.

For quick energy I take a few hits of Whiskey (just kidding). I like the Cliff Shots. Its a goo type product that I use while cycling.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

I take regular oatmeal with raisins and almonds for breakfast, energy bars and dried fruits for lunch, and rice mixes with either spam or tuna packs for dinner. I carry a water filter because the taste is so much better than the tablets. I'll also carry some nuts for snacks but they get a little heavy. The nature valley granola bars are light weight and keep me going. I always take Starbucks coffee too. I can make it fresh every morning with the coghlan's one cup filters.

Gordon
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM

I consider myself a seasoned backpacker and have pretty much ran the gammut on pack food vs light wt vs comfort/flavor vs practicle. So this is where I ended up for hunting. I like to keep my pack at 40# including pistol 6#w/ammo. and water 1.5 liter platapus bag.
Breakfast: wake up and go hunting- 2 cps of fav. cereal in freezer zip lock with 1/2 cp of non dairy creamer or creamora powder. add 1cp+- water from your bottle, knead it and eat also celestial seasonings tea rehydrates w/ cold water asap just drop 1 in your water bottle and go.
Lunch: trail mix, nuts, jerky, cracker/cheese packs, Bumble bee tuna or chicken salad w/ cracker packs, mini candy bars ect;. ect;.
dinner: with titanium pot, pepsi can stove, cup, spoon and fuel (12oz ttl) I bring top ramen or dehydrated meals and tea bags. Without a stove I revert back to lunch menu. YES IT IS WAAAY BORING but its 12ozs lighter and Less BULKY
My biggest issue with stoves is the bulk of the pot when it comes time to pack out a bear when I'm by myself its 2 round trips for MEAT only. + 1 if hide is hauled. THATS with an 80# pack going out. so I quite often struggle with stove vs cold food as I dont like to burn fires and smell like smoke on the ridge when Im hunting. IF you dont mind making extra trips from truck to kill site then take the kitchen sink. Remember some of your gear will go back with you each time you go for another load like pistol, water, 10 essentials, emerg./survival stuff. If you always have a partner than you have a huge advantage over the SOLO hunter. Theres nothing quite like a nice hot meal at days end to comfort those aching bones.