Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What gun, scope, and bipod/rest are you guys packing in ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM

What gun, scope, and bipod/rest are you guys packing in ?

I'm interested to know what you guys are lugging or not lugging around in the hills !
And what are you targeting with your chosen round ?
And what does it weigh ?

Also what would be your choice if you had to narrow it down to one gun to take a Bear, mule deer, elk, and a jackalope with that one gun ????

PS - Jackalope does not need to be distinguishable after the shot ;-)
Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: What gun, scope, and bipod/rest are you guys packing in ?

I pack a 300 win mag. Rem 700 action, Mc Millan Scout stock, harris bipod, 26 inch benchmark barrel, sendero contour, spiral fluted with a muzzle brake for total length of 28 inch, timmey trigger at 2.25 lbs. Dnz one piece rings, topped with a 3-15x50 nightforce scope. Every thing is blue printed, trued, lapped, bedded. Weighs slightly over 10 lbs. Mainly hunt elk, some deer and black bear. Using 180 grain accur bond bullets, have some 200 accur bonds that I'm going to try and eventually would like to try some of the berger hybirds.
The rifle and scope mounts were put together by Horizon Firearms. I installed the scope. Never had the opportunity to be around any of the nice rifles that many have on this forum. But some of them sure sound nice.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 AM

Remington 700 Ti in 260 Rem, leupold vx-3 2-8x36
Weighing in at 6-1/2 lbs
Going for Mulies
Old 08-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Bronze Member

I'm currently hauling a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm STW around, and at almost 60 years old and perhaps 30 pounds overweight, it's a real haul! The rifle without ammo weighs right at 9 pounds, pretty close to what an M1 Garand weighs.

I just bought this rifle last spring, so of course I'm taking it everywhere, but I would guess my dad's (now mine) Model 70 in .270 W.C.F. would be a better choice, as I'm playing at finding a mountain lion. The 7mm sure is overkill for that animal.

A .270 or .30-'06 will take all of the animals you named, but if we're talking brown bear, I sure would want something BIG. My current rifle would be on the lower end of what I would want to use, and I'm thinking an 8mm mag or .458 or whatever in that range. And as you say, the jackalope would not be distinguishable after THAT shot!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Taking two, and will pick depending if we're hunting open or timber on a particular day:

Tikka .300 WSM with Vortex Viper PST 4.16x50 SFP, 8 lbs 6 oz
Tikka .308 with Vortex Viper 2-7x32, 7 lbs 4 oz.

Elk and mule deer
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

So far I've packed a factory 300WM Remington Sendero with a Nikon Tactical scope in Burris Signature rings. We go back far enough into the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana that the horse guys think we're crazy.

Yes, it's on the heavy side. But I run 80 miles a week.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

I have a remington 700 in a 7mm mage. it's a bdl action with #6 unfluted barrel. It has a JP eliminator brake with an Atlas bipod topped with a 20 MOA base and lightweight tactical rings and a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 with illuminated reticle, a anti cant device AND a smile.

she weighs about 16 pounds, but she makes the shots... that's what it's all about.