Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What do you use for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Bronze Member

I use a small sock with small grain aquarium charcoal. Weight is low, and you can use it to soak up odors from your stinky boots too.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

For no-holds-barred KD shooting, I use a leather rear sand bag filled w/ heavy zircon sand. Lookin' to upgrade to an Edgewood cordura/leather bag this year.

What I throw in my pack is a Redman Tactical beanie bag - filled w/ poly beads and weighs about 1.5#. He also makes bigger sizes (aka the 'Tactical Pillow') that I've been considerin. A little heavier (3.5#) but more comfy for when you are on the gun for an extended period.

From time to time I've used a shooting glove inside a heavy shooting mitt... works like the aforementioned fist, only way better. I been accused of 'cheating' by some individuals over that one...

Monte
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

field bag preference

I have used my fist, my jacket, a rock or anything handy. The two purchased products that I have used are the "Snipers bean bag" and the Holland field bag...It always seems that the bean bag would work better but in the field I usually go with the Holland product because it is firmer
Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply click on shooters products...They are made by Doggone good products http://www.dog-gone-good.com/holland.jpg
Sniper Bean Bags for the bean bag Good luck
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 12-20-2009, 01:40 AM

Re: What do you use for rear support?

I do not use a rear support. I get a steady hold with my sling, I have found that getting back to basics from when I was in the service always works best for me. I use my leather 1903 sling standing, seated, and prone. Sling up, find NPOA, check my breathing and send the round
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

I used the Redman on my last hunt and liked it a lot. It's very steady when I squeeze it to adjust elevation, carries in my cargo pocket easily and doesn't weight too much. The picture is when I used it on my antelope hunt this year. The antelope is the small white dot on the far hillside.

Gordon
Niceville, FL

Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Fill a stuff sack that suits your needs with some of this -=MilkBottleFill.com=- Buy milk bottle fill online, styrofoam microbeads make you milk bottles look full of milk! Great for Pillow filler and Soft toys ,makes a good pillow also providing you make it big enough.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 AM

I just use a simple sock filled with rice. Not quite as good as sand but much lighter