Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What do you use for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Bronze Member
I use a small sock with small grain aquarium charcoal. Weight is low, and you can use it to soak up odors from your stinky boots too.
Steve in New Mexico
Hunting with my AR30 .338 Lapua

Unread 01-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Gold Member
For no-holds-barred KD shooting, I use a leather rear sand bag filled w/ heavy zircon sand. Lookin' to upgrade to an Edgewood cordura/leather bag this year.

What I throw in my pack is a Redman Tactical beanie bag - filled w/ poly beads and weighs about 1.5#. He also makes bigger sizes (aka the 'Tactical Pillow') that I've been considerin. A little heavier (3.5#) but more comfy for when you are on the gun for an extended period.

From time to time I've used a shooting glove inside a heavy shooting mitt... works like the aforementioned fist, only way better. I been accused of 'cheating' by some individuals over that one...

Unread 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Silver Member
field bag preference

I have used my fist, my jacket, a rock or anything handy. The two purchased products that I have used are the "Snipers bean bag" and the Holland field bag...It always seems that the bean bag would work better but in the field I usually go with the Holland product because it is firmer
Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply click on shooters products...They are made by Doggone good products
Sniper Bean Bags for the bean bag Good luck
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5
Unread 12-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Re: What do you use for rear support?

I do not use a rear support. I get a steady hold with my sling, I have found that getting back to basics from when I was in the service always works best for me. I use my leather 1903 sling standing, seated, and prone. Sling up, find NPOA, check my breathing and send the round
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

I used the Redman on my last hunt and liked it a lot. It's very steady when I squeeze it to adjust elevation, carries in my cargo pocket easily and doesn't weight too much. The picture is when I used it on my antelope hunt this year. The antelope is the small white dot on the far hillside.

Niceville, FL

Unread 01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Fill a stuff sack that suits your needs with some of this Buy milk bottle fill online, styrofoam microbeads make you milk bottles look full of milk! Great for Pillow filler and Soft toys ,makes a good pillow also providing you make it big enough.
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:14 AM

I just use a simple sock filled with rice. Not quite as good as sand but much lighter