Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What do you use for rear support?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Bronze Member

What do you use for rear support?

Right now I use a plain old GI issue sock filled with sand. What I do like it that combined w/ the bipod it is a rock solid shooting platform for prairie dogging and deer hunting. What I don't like it that it weighs 2 lbs and sand is messy. What kind of things are you guys using for field rear supports. ASide from a balled up fist? I was thinking simple plastic beads would cut weight but would I still get the stability?
Any help is appreciated,
Lucas
Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you posted under the "Backpacking" section, so one assumes that you are either not firing on all cylinders or else want something light weight.

I gave Brain the last of my Polystyrene beads. That is what I use.

Depending, upon your ability, you can take an old camo shirt and cut the sleeve off and sew up one end. Then cut the other end of the sleeve so it has a pattern for a filler tube and sew that up. Fill up the "bag" with beads. Take some construction braided twine and tie off the filler tube and leave enough to tie a loop in the twine. Use a snap link to attach the bag loop to your belt or pack.

How much you fill the bag depends upon your preferences in a rear bag. I carry two so I like mine loose and floppy. At ranges past 1K I do not like to be squeezing the bag because it introduces movement in the rifle that cannot be tolerated at those distances.

Now then if you have a loose sparkplug wire and just happened to be in the Backpacking section because you got lost, then I will give you the following advice. I am not an olympic champion rifle shot, nonetheless, some days I do OK. I have tested the lightweight poly bags against the "Heavy sand" bags and the Heavy sand bags are the most accurate. You won't find any poly bags at 1K benchrest matches.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgreff View Post
Right now I use a plain old GI issue sock filled with sand. What I do like it that combined w/ the bipod it is a rock solid shooting platform for prairie dogging and deer hunting. What I don't like it that it weighs 2 lbs and sand is messy. What kind of things are you guys using for field rear supports. ASide from a balled up fist? I was thinking simple plastic beads would cut weight but would I still get the stability?
Any help is appreciated,
Lucas
If you use a short bi-pod like the Harris BR model, your clenched fist is all that you need and its easy to adjust. If slightly more height is needed than I put my bino case or similar object under my fist. I've had no trouble making kills out to 1,000 yds using nothing more than my fist and a short bi-pod. It's the longer bi-pods that present the problems with finding an appropiate rear rest.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 AM
Gold Member

I use a piece of closed cell foam, about 6" wide, 10" long and tapered like a wedge of cheese from 4" thick to nothing, covered with filter material. set the pod close and slide the wedge back and forth to get on target. a pic

RR
Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

I have thought about experimenting with styrofoam,it's light weight,usually free(save some next time you buy something that comes packaged with it).Cut a piece a little bigger than you need,because you can compress it with your stock if needed.I thought maybe attaching it to a wristband and using it that way.Just an idea.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

I love the wedge idea. I have some foam at home. I am going to give that a try. Maybe not that big but lightweight and very adjustable. Thanks

And yes I am firing on all 8 cylinders. I use bags for benchrest but wanted something besides a 2lb sand sock to carry into the field.

thanks again,
Lucas
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've been shooting off a rolled up gore-tex bivvy sac. A couple of thick rubber bands around it and it holds it's shape very well. It is the perfect height and firmness and something that is always with me when I'm hunting anyway. As such, it doesn't add any more weight or bulk to my pack.

You might consider thinking through how you might use something that's already in your pack to do the job--rolled up pants or shirt--something that you can package in a way that is will be of consistent firmness and shape. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl