Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What do you eat ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Re: What do you eat ?

While backpacking for any animal, weight is the most important thing. Food is heavy no matter how you look at it. If you can eat for around a pound a day your on the right track.Lipton sidekicks are very light, taste good and have a variety of flavors.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Macaroni and cheese with the powder cheese mix. Kraft mixes up better. Oatmeal packets for breakfast. Use powder milk for the mac and cheese, and the oat meal. Lunches are heavier for me, various bars, trail mix, and some deer salami. If you are in an area where there is some fishing, bring aluminum foil, squeeze margarine, lemon pepper, and garlic salt. Use all the ingredients liberally, especially the butter, wrap up in the foil and cook in the fire.

Steve
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

i agree with most all the posters here....good food is a real issue... i swear i could not look a pack of raman noodles in the eye for years after my first sheep hunt....another suggestion i have found that works for me is minute rice. easy to cook, add some tuna or jerky, spice it up with any number of sauces that are light and packable. i also take some instant mashed potatoes along. a ziplock baggy full will make a fine meal...add some powdered milk in the bag and all you need is water. i always visit KFC the day before a backpack hunt and load up on condiments.....butter, grape jelly, katsup, etc.....the alum foil for fish or other critters is a real good idea....never leave home without my wrist rocket for grouse.....i always wanted to try to eat a whistle pig, but never have managed to get one when i'm in the mood. anybody here ever eat one? they eat grass just like a rabbit, prob taste similar. AJ
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

One way I have found to break the freeze dried blues is to eat only one per day and I add a bit more water and let them sit longer. They are much more appealing this way. Also up here it is usually cold, wet and the mountains are very steep. When youre this drained, a mountain house for dinner is a welcome treat after eating oatmeal, power bars and jerky all day.

Breakfast = 2 packages of oatmeal and beef jerky. Not mixed of course. I do not get very far on oatmeal alone but with some protien I am good for quite a while.

I dont ussually eat a formal lunch. I snack through out the day on jerky, power bars, balance bars, fruit and nut bars etc.....

Dinner = freeze dried food. I still typically eat jerky and/or a power or balance bar to suplement the freeze dried dinner.

I dont take any candy or other garbage. Strictly high protien and nutritious food. I stick to lots of carbs and moderate amounts of protien during the day for energy and endurance and heavy doses of protien and water before bed to recover from overworked muscles.

I take one freeze dried meal per night, two power bars per day, two balance bars per day, 2 bags of oatmeal per morning and one pound of jerky for every 4 full days.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

On most ultralight back pack trips I cook some meat before I go. I then take oats, bread, Vegemite and packet tuna.
This means I need no cooking equipment at all as all food is eaten cold.

If it is to an established base camp, way back in the sticks I take in as much food of all types as I can carry, everything not eaten on the first trip for the season is then sealed in a plastic drum and left there for next time. I also get my kids to pack food in for me to eat on other trips when they are at school. They hate to have go to school while the old man is out back packing for deer. ha ha.

I have done a few survival type hikes where I took one cooking pot and a 5kg bag of rice and nothing else to eat! I cought trout and shot deer to have with the rice cooked over an open fire. These are great trips and the pack is VERY light. But I tend to loose a bit of weight on this diet.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Pls keep this thread going, I have never learned to eat good stuff in the high country and is interesting to see your responses. Even pbutter crackers get old( but now they kill ya).

NRA Life Member
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
Pls keep this thread going, I have never learned to eat good stuff in the high country and is interesting to see your responses. Even pbutter crackers get old( but now they kill ya).

Unfortunately I think the more variety you put in the diet the heavier it will get. Purhaps doing the base diet for a week, and then throwing 1 or 2 dinners that are a "treat" to break up the monotany.

You could always get yourself a donkey and pack in 150lbs of food, and live good.

Steve