Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Weight of hunting packs (empty weight)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Weight of hunting packs (empty weight)

Ths new Badlands Scarifice hunting pack at just over 3 lbs is truly what we need in hunting packs. Congrats on that design.

On the other hand the very well designed Eberlestock Just One pack, for example, needs to go on a diet. At over 7 lbs. It is burdening the hunter with at least 3 extra pounds of too-heavy material. Lose some webbing width, get Dyneema fabric in many areas and go for lighter weight buckles as a starting point for this diet.

If you truly need fantastic durability from a hunting pack then go with the military versions of Eberlestock packs.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weight of hunting packs (empty weight)

I agree with hunting packs needing to go on diets. I'm constantly amazed at how heavy packs intended for multi day hunts are.

I'm currently running a Molle Gen 2 frame with a cloth sling that runs up the back. (Similar to the Mystery Ranch BVD load carrier). I pack all my gear in 2 waterproof bags and secure to the frame. At last weigh in I think my packs empty weight is 3.75 pounds.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: Weight of hunting packs (empty weight)

That's a good weight for your pack that may have to carry a deer quarter out plus your gear.

I realize we can't do UL backpacks for hunting but some hunting packs could be a lot lighter without giving up durability.

I have a 2.5 lb. pack (REI Cruise UL 60) that has carried 30 to 35 lb loads for weeks at a time for the last 5 years and is still in very good shape. Another 1 or 2 lbs. of pack eight for higher loads would not be unreasonable.

On the other hand my 1990s 7.5 lb Dana Designs Terraplane is reserved only for big winter loads.

"I may be crazy but I ain't stupid." 7.5 lbs. is too much for any pack.