Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

ultra light rifle stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

ultra light rifle stocks

I wanted to get some opinions on who made the best value in ultra-light rifle stocks. I know none of the good ones will be cheap, just wanted to stay in the $4-600 range. I am thinking of building a mountain rifle in 300WSM and before buying an action I wanted to make sure the stock I pick is available for it.

I'm looking to build a gun that will finish out at 8lbs or less with a 13oz scope.

Also if you want, give me some advice on what make and contour barrel to go with. I will finish it at 23" of barrel and a Vias brake on top of that. I want to use 180gr bullets, preferably accubonds if it likes them.

I am not a huge fan of Remington 700 actions for mountain hunting because of their safety. It seems to always rub off on my pack and unlock my bolt. I would prefer to use a Savage or Browning action with the tang safety.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: ultra light rifle stocks

look at MPI stocks. they make some that weight 9 oz!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I've got a Lone Wolf on my Rem model 7. My rifle weighs 5 3/8lbs, scoped.

I went with the 20" Shilen featherweight, but mine is a 308 win. You would probably want to go to 22" at least with the 300 wsm. Putting the brake on there is gonna bring the weight up a bit too. If you like the Browning, the mountain TI is a
good start.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

I'm thinking 23" of barrel plus the brake. That should be pretty close to the same length as a standard 24" long action.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

um not to sound ultra simple but you can get a rifle that shoots great, is well within your weight restrictions, has a garanteed MOA, and cost about $650 new for a stainless synthetic in 300wsm...its a tikka t3! just add a break and your in buisiness. if you want an aftermarket light stock get a manners with the carbon fiber. just a thought! i own 2 tikka 595 and they shoot great. I also have sold probably 200 t3's and havent had any complaints. just throwing that in.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
um not to sound ultra simple but you can get a rifle that shoots great, is well within your weight restrictions, has a garanteed MOA, and cost about $650 new for a stainless synthetic in 300wsm...its a tikka t3! just add a break and your in buisiness. if you want an aftermarket light stock get a manners with the carbon fiber. just a thought! i own 2 tikka 595 and they shoot great. I also have sold probably 200 t3's and havent had any complaints. just throwing that in.
You are right, I had a Tikka 595 in 223 and still have a 695 in 270 that are both 1/2" guns with the right loads. I shot my whitetail this year with the 270. I love the tikka rifles, great trigger and accuracy out of the box. My problem with them for mountain hunting is the safety. It's not a big deal on my deer rifle around home because I don't hike that far or carry a daypack. I often carry my rifle over my left shoulder when carrying a gun a long way. I have had trouble with the safety like the tikka and remington 700 being rubbed off on my pack leaving my bolt free to come open and collect dirt. I have never had that happen with the tang safety which makes me want one for this project. If not for the safety I'd have already bought a Tikka.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

I got an email back from MPI today on the weight of their stocks. They say their blank for a browning would weigh 24oz plus 4-5oz for a good pad like a pachmyr or limbsaver. That would be the unfinished blank, so it may drop a little weight finishing it. The bell & carlson medalist ultralight aluminum bedded stock on my 270WSM only weighs 28oz finished, so it would be in the same ballpark. I may contact Mcmillian or lone wolf and see if they have a lighter option with more kevlar or graphite than the MPI.