Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Tipi tents in bad weather ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Tipi tents in bad weather ?

I've read a few reviews and threads on various brands of tipi tents (kifaru and seek outside in particular) and I am curious how well they stand up in big storms. My hunting buddy wants to get one, and I'm a little hesitant to use them in high winds and/or big snow storms.

Anybody here use them? in bad weather? with stoves?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tipi tents in bad weather ?

I sent a pm!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

I've had my Kifaru 6 man pitched in strong winds and heavy snowfall and it always has held up very well
Tim
Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

I think a "real" tipi with several poles around the perimeter will stand up better than any other tent structure. The central monopole style ones, not so much. Tested by native Americans for thousands of years 24/7/365...
Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I think a "real" tipi with several poles around the perimeter will stand up better than any other tent structure. The central monopole style ones, not so much. Tested by native Americans for thousands of years 24/7/365...
That's a great point ... I had not quite thought about it like that!

But aren't all of the tipi tents made by kifaru/seek outside/etc all central monopole designs? If that's the case does that make all these new center pole tipi tents insufficient for bad weather?
I would certainly thing that any tent with a perimeter pole design would be far too heavy to pack into the wilderness...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a golite SL3 which is a small tipi style with a center pole or if there is an overhanging tree, you can tie it up that way. They really do work great and hold up very well in bad weather. I know that a lot of folks worry about the floorless design but I really like them----you can have a stove, muddy boots, pee if you have to, etc.
Would not be great in buggy spots but even then, you can close them up pretty tight.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Ideally you would "share" the load with a few others... It is tough doing anything solo. Or do like the old timers and get a pack animal...

One can get telescoping carbon fiber tube here Carbon Fiber Telescoping Tubes

If you do use a pack animal, you might go the opposite route and use bamboo poles. They are very strong and light compared to wooden poles. Bamboo Cane - Poles for Fences, Decks, Railings, Tiki and Home Decor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
That's a great point ... I had not quite thought about it like that!

But aren't all of the tipi tents made by kifaru/seek outside/etc all central monopole designs? If that's the case does that make all these new center pole tipi tents insufficient for bad weather?
I would certainly thing that any tent with a perimeter pole design would be far too heavy to pack into the wilderness...