Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Tents for backpacking...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tents for backpacking...

Thank you for your kind words. If I knew there was enough of a market and could find a trustworthy operation to build it, I might pursue it. The issue I foresee is that as soon as the idea caught on, if it did and it's a big if, you'd have someone else tweek the design a bit and then have it made in China and I'd be out of business. It sure is a great and very lightweight living space, though. I'm extrememly happy with it and so are those that have spent the night in a warm, dry place with a floor in a tent that big that doesn't even tip the scale at 7 lbs.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM

I love your Tipi! I would like to make one. I tried clicking on your pictures to link to your website and was unable. Where can I go to see more photo's? How many people can you sleep in your tipi with the stove in? Do you have any instructions for building? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigby View Post
I love your Tipi! I would like to make one. I tried clicking on your pictures to link to your website and was unable. Where can I go to see more photo's? How many people can you sleep in your tipi with the stove in? Do you have any instructions for building? Thanks for your help!

Thank you. I tried the link to the site that hosts the pictures an it seemd to work forme... Two people with all their gear spread, rifles, etc. spread out drying can live in this 10' diameter tipi quite comfortably. Of course, I used to spending nights in a little two man mountain tent, so this seems like the Taj Mahal to me. I just used graph paper and the dimensions I wanted (7' high so I could stand up and 10' diameter so there'd be plenty of room for two people and gear) used 8 panels, studied quite a few picures of other tipis on the web and started sewing, bought the materials, cut stuff and sewed it togehter. A background in sewing helps. Good luck!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

That tipi is a real beauty. You should be proud.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:08 PM

I have been trying different ideas for stoves and tents. The following is my latest. The same design works for stand up shelters.

8'x15' nylon tarp

5'' stove, 40'' tapered chimney, 2 part stove jack on floor, weighs 2lbs.

6'' stove lying on side, left; baffle seen thru feed door. right;bottom draft door and grate, attached heat shield/ash catcher

The baffle; stops the sparks so no spark arrestor is needed, makes cooking surface is the hottest part of the stove, controls the fire for a slow hot burn.

tapered chimney sections use a sleeve butt joint to bear weight as the center pole. A water boiler can be put on the top of the chimney outside.

The tipi syle is popular. I prefer a roof as low as possible with no vents in the top 1/3 of the tent to keep a layer of

hot air above, radiating down. I do not like a floor in a tent because the bare ground or snow always needs fixing to

sleep on. Mosquitos are hard to keep out with screens on doors that are opening and closing, so I let the stove

smoke inside a bit to make them leave. I like to sleep under the tarp in a bivy or covered with a net. A tarp with a

chimney/stove makes a true 4 season allweather tent, a shade in summer or nailed down tight in a winter blizzard.

Google chimpac or centerpole chimney for arguments on other forums

Last edited by chimpac; 06-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

For myself I use a 2 person Sierra Designs Clip Flashlite if there is 2 - 3 guys I take my 4 man Sierra Design Stretch Prelude.

I don't like bug bites and sleep far better inside of a tent.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM

DISCLAIMER: I don't camp/pack in the wicked cold and heavy snow like out west. Here in the lower Appalachians of North Georgia/SW North Carolina/SE Tennessee we do get reasonable snow and the daytime avg temps low 20's to to low 40's and night temps from the teens to 20's.

I use a Hennessey Hammock with the super shelter upgrade and have slept very comfortably in the low 20's. I use the HH HexFly which provides good cover and I have yet to get wet even in the heavest downpour. Durring the day I pull the "snake skins" over the hammock which stores it up and out of the way(also keeps creapy crawlies out). The whole thing packs down in a compression sack smaller than my Mtn Hardwear Conness down sleeping bag and weighs in about 3lbs and requires no poles. I can pitch/break shelter in about three minutes and can set the fly without the hammock or with.

I will have to see if I can get some pics up in the next couple days.

Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)