Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Survival gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Survival gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
for pressure bandages a Kotex can literally be a life saver. Having a couple of each in your field emergency/first aid kit is a pretty good idea if you don't have access to prepackaged pressure bandages.
I used the Kotex Maxi on a bad arrow wound, wrapped with ace bandage. We packed kotex in my search and rescue days for trauma.

Worked real good
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT View Post
I used the Kotex Maxi on a bad arrow wound, wrapped with ace bandage. We packed kotex in my search and rescue days for trauma.

Worked real good
Yep, you'd be amazed just how well a tampon covered with a kotex works on penetrating wounds, even gunshot wounds... .

I got some strange looks at times when people got a glimps of everything I kept in my crash bag.

Tons of common every day items have emergency uses one would never think of until being in such a situation.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Has anyone mentioned a small fat candle? They will burn when nothing else will and do so long enough to dry out tinder and get a good fire started.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

From all that I have learned from "Uuns' (an old southern red neck term of endurement) I will get me some of the QuikClot spounges and add them to the the ORIGINAL Quikclot black belt-kit that came with my two packages so I won't have to worry about the powders getting in my eyes etc. as well as the pain of application. If however, I or anyone I might come across on the Mt. is bleeding to death, I will do my best with both products and then hit the 911 button and pray. If~n I'm real lucky might even be able to use the cell phone if on top at 10 &11,000'. Done tested the locations 2 years ago-that work.

Good luck and pass the AMMO!