Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Survival gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Survival gear

I think all the kit’s been pretty covered in one way or another here... So I’ll address a couple of my favorite pieces of kit; with the understanding that much of the other kit mentioned is a no brainier, if you plan to survive more than, 5 minutes, 5hrs, 5dys or 5 weeks depending where your heads at.
One piece of kit is’.., the Sure Fire Saint HS1-A-Blk variable output headlamp... this is a must if your going to need “light” in almost any situation… spot on bullet proof kit.
The second my Rothco G.I. issue military tritium lensatic compass, which I liberated in 1973; with a good map it will be working long after my Garmin Rino 520HCx is dead.
Third would be a blade, or two; the first my Bud Nealy five inch Pesh-Kabz for light and tight wear, this is a knife fighters blade; the second one Woodsman Pal 1941 as the LC-14-B, original a combat engineers tool during WWII after that it’s pretty much a Spec’Op gangs must have tool for deployment world wide.
Fourth and last MTM xtreme Special Op’s wrest watch… you’ve got to be able to mark time and distance reliable.
Everything else has pretty much been cover as I said; these are a must for me.
Cheers
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

My kit is still getting upgraded and modified since my earlier post. After weighing them both I took out the MPI hooded space blanket and put the Kifaru paratarp in full-time. It offers better shelter and not much more weight. I used to pack GI poncho, drum liners, and the MPI hooded blanket/tarp, but as I found out I can pack better options for shelter and rain gear for the same weight, rather than pack things to rig them up with. I also got a back-up whistle/compass/magnifying glass for christmas I put in my kit along with my full-size compass. It looks kinda cheesy but it is a Silva brand and everything seems to work well on it and it only weighs .7oz. I also got an Esbit TI stove to replace my old one that only weighs .4oz. I've been packing a SOG revolver hunter knife as my hunting knife that weighs 7oz with it's sheath and has a saw & standard blade. It's lighter than any of my other fixed blade knives and hasn't broken from any of my abuse yet. I'm thinking I should take out my Victorionox Trekker knife since I only need 1 saw and this is the better option. I'm going to add a Havalon Baracutta with boning and skinning blades so I'll still have 2 knives and 1 saw for about 10oz. I'm getting the kit down to about 3lbs including pretty good shelter and medical so I think I'm getting there.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

I'm not familiar with a lot of the Brand names. What is a very good water filtration and purification system. ( Lots of very slow moving water and stagnant ponds in summer months and they are natures toilets). Something that wont clog the filters up after a couple of quarts of water and large enough for two people on the move in hot weather
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Katadyn filters are very popular. I have the hiker model, but you might be better off with a hiker pro or similar model in that type of water. A pre filter, coffee filter, or even a bandana over the filters input hose will extend its life. If the water is that bad I might filter it and still use a chemical tablet also. I know people who have had giardia and they never want it again.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

McSeal how do those store from year to year if they have been used? I also have a backgound concern of lower levels of Arsenic. I have used their less expensive fiberglass filter models and found them to be a concern in my own mind!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
I'm not familiar with a lot of the Brand names. What is a very good water filtration and purification system. ( Lots of very slow moving water and stagnant ponds in summer months and they are natures toilets). Something that wont clog the filters up after a couple of quarts of water and large enough for two people on the move in hot weather
Also check out Mountain Safety Research (MSR): MSR® Water Treatment and Hydration - Comprehensive Solutions to treat, store and deliver water anywhere

and

Platypus® Gravity Water Filtration and Storage

Make sure you understand the differences between purification systems and filtration systems if feel the need for a purification system.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
McSeal how do those store from year to year if they have been used? I also have a backgound concern of lower levels of Arsenic. I have used their less expensive fiberglass filter models and found them to be a concern in my own mind!
Clean and dry the parts well before storage as per manufactuer's directions. That's all. Should be gtg next time you go out.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl