Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Survival gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Survival gear

Here's my list, dry socks in a zip lock, extra wool gloves, water, boolits, knife, preg checking gloves, rope, flagging, two head lamps, batteries, matches, flint and steel with tow and tinder, small med kit of my own making for me and one for dogs, pistol, emergency energy drink mix and radio. In new areas I carry maps, google earth pic of area and GPS.

I like the little Jet boil deal, handier than drinking beaver water

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=T3-OleMan;591326]Might want to add a pack of 'Quick CLOT' to stop the bleeding-bullet hole or bone or tree limb sticking out of you. Been carrying mine -I think about 8 or 9 years. They have made it into spounges now I think. Mine is like a large Kool - Aid pack. You may need to use it in a car wreck going hunting, or to the store. [QUOTE]

This is a good point. There is another product called "Celox" that is used the same way as "Quick Clot" These products are steadily being upgraded. Anyone who adds one of these products to their backpack should take the time to understand how to apply it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

I am not a doctor or even an EMT for that matter only trained on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, so take this as you may. We are trained that Quikclot is supposed to be used where a tourniquet can't be placed. You should carry both (along with gauge and a pressure bandage) and get some training on using them. We had the powder QC turned in and are now given the gauze. The powder could have an exothermic reaction and cause more injury. It could also get in your eyes, nose and mouth...have to pay attention to the wind.
I say again, not a doc or EMT. Just something you should look into.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I carry a couple of compasses, fire making equipment, a stout knife in addition to my hunting knife, enough water to get me through the day and a small meal or 2 (tuna and crackers for instance)
. That pretty much covers it for me, I usually don't get more than 5 or 6 miles from the truck though.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

I carry most stuff on your list. I am older now so I try not to double up on much, and keep gear light. I do pack 2 blades and 2 lights. Most of my camera, lights,gps, use same battery ,so I can switch if needed. I like having flagging for game retrieval or mark a game trail. I also have small first aid kit w/ band aids, wrap,tape, early season I have saved friends feet w/kit. I noticed my taxidermist using latex gloves and have thrown a set in pack, weigh nothing and are handy. Small compass, and as stated, my father was a railroader, when horse hunting I packed fusee, can light fire in any wood.Some para cord.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
I am not a doctor or even an EMT for that matter only trained on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, so take this as you may. We are trained that Quikclot is supposed to be used where a tourniquet can't be placed. You should carry both (along with gauge and a pressure bandage) and get some training on using them. We had the powder QC turned in and are now given the gauze. The powder could have an exothermic reaction and cause more injury. It could also get in your eyes, nose and mouth...have to pay attention to the wind.
I say again, not a doc or EMT. Just something you should look into.
Thanks for the newer info. Back when I got my 2 packs for $75 FedEx overnight to go to CO on my ELK hunt the only instructions that the paperwork told me was (as I stored it in my old memory bank) pour it in the hole and slap a gause or clean cloth over and press and get to DR. ASAP. The Dr. would "cut it out" when they closed the hole. Also, I called back a couple years ago and found out that it has no expration date (thats good till it gets a pinhole in it). At the time I asked about the NEWER stuff and he said that the newer gause/spounge stuff could be washed away by the DR. That beats cutting it out YIKESSSSSS {:>).

BTW....thanks again for your service!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

You're welcome.

Don't take my post as gospel. We have somewhat different protocol then civilian medical personnel. You should really check into some self/buddy care if you are gonna be out in the sticks.

I have been guilty of carrying too much stuff. Like stated earlier, better to have it and not need it. However I'm not 18 any more and think twice about overdoing it. My pack used to run up to 60 plus lbs, now I try to carry no more then 40. I do still go by the saying "Carry light, Freeze at Night!".

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.