Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Suggestions? - Pack that Carries Rifle for Barbary Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Suggestions? - Pack that Carries Rifle for Barbary Hunt

The trouble with a barbary hunt is when the animal hits the ground it always seems to be at least a couple miles from the nearest road and sometimes in some really nasty stuff. Ibex are even worse!

Here's my 2 cents.
I agree with jmden that the eberlestock is great for carrying a rifle as long as you dont want to sit down, or carry a heavy load with the rifle in the scabbard. Its also hard to get the rifle out without taking the pack off. They put the load too far from your COG and the scabbard hangs down too far for me. Ive used a Badlands 2200 on nearly every hunt for quite a few years and really like it for single day outings because it does a lot of stuff well. It will easily carry a days water, food and clothing/gear, it carries a load well for its construction, it can carry a rifle behind the load and up high so you can still sit on a log and it does not weigh a ton to start out. My dad and brother in law both have Eberlestocks and I have traded packs with them on a few hunts just to see how the wore. The Badlands is far more comfortable and overall less bulky. Whatever pack you end up with, make sure it will do exactly what you want and fit your body correctly. Anything else will be wasted money in the long run. I am currently saving up for a Stone Glacier for a multi day pack, and who knows it may replace my Badlands for single day outings!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Pony up the money and get a Kifaru. Buy once cry once. If you check out Rokslide.com it is all diy backpack hunting. They have a review ongoing about the stone glacier and the new kifaru bikini frame. No other pack carries weight better for the weight of the pack imo.
If you want to talk backpacks Rokslide.com is the place.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Amazon.com: ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches: Sports & Outdoors

123 bucks...not as cool as Kifaru, or eberlestock...but spending 1/3rd the money for the same purpose is cool enough...save the other 200 to 400 bucks for the optics you want to put on your rifle
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I wonder about the weight carrying capabilities of that pack. Carrying 80+ pounds of meat and gear a few miles really tests a pack.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChaseCoues View Post
I wonder about the weight carrying capabilities of that pack. Carrying 80+ pounds of meat and gear a few miles really tests a pack.

see reviews on amazon, one guy reported carrying over 90 pounds over several miles comfortably....carried my 70 pound daughter around in it today...seemed to be comfortable enough..I have carried lots of loads over lots of distances over lots of different terrain (albeit not game), and I am astounded at seeing how expensive some of these hunting packs are ...I will repost if I test it harder, hopefully with some meat in it ;).

heck for 123 bucks, I can try it out for a season and save for my 500 buck Kifaru for next year.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Looking at the action photos that pack looks miserable. There's no load lifters at all and in a couple of photos you can see the belt sagging. One of the guys with an elk is hiking hunched over to keep it from digging in his shoulders and the guy with the sheep is reaching back under and lifting so it doesn't kill his shoulders. That pack is for dumb but tough guys.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

I have used the badlands 2200 fir several years and love it. Just a few months ago I bought an eberlestock scabards and put on it. Freaking amazing how good it works. After a few hikes with it my hunting partner went and bought the same set up.