Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Solo vs. multi person

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Solo vs. multi person

I usually hunt with one other person but that is it. I always go with a buddy of mine if he draws and he goes if I draw. I have no problem going by myself though. If you have someone that hunts with you that knows how you hunt then it usually isn't a problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Jr. View Post
On a backpack hunt I really prefer to hunt with THE RIGHT person. Two people that work well together makes for a very efficient sytem and hunting team.

Lately I've been hunting with my 9 year old son. It makes for more work than a solo hunt right now. I'm looking forward to when he can carry his gear and mine Our back pack trips are mostly for spring turkey so the weather is nice and the loads are relatively light. Bigger game and longer trips as he gets older
Reading your post reminded me of when I first started taking my son hunting out of state mainly the Utah high country when he was 16. He is my favorite hunting partner today and quite capable in all situations.
Back then those hunts were the roughest I have ever had. My stress level and worry for him was almost off the scale for a couple years as I would line him out in a drainage and we would agree to meet at a certain spot at dark so I would not basically see him all day and in that high country snow flurries would blow through just adding to the stress.

I ask him years later if back then had he ever got turned around and he looked at me and smiled and replied "yeah I got confused during a couple snow storms but I knew what state I was in" The question of his capabilities has never came up again. Actually we have probably reverses roles as I'm getting up there in age. Enjoy that time with your son even if very stressful as it will soon be gone and he will be a man!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Like life, hunting can be easier and more fun with the right partner. However, the wrong partner is much worse than going alone. We hunt pheasants in groups, and it is fun. Deer and elk I hunt alone.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Grew up hunting by myself, or with my cousin. Haven't had the opportunity to hunt with my cousin in 30+ years. Still learning the Elk Business. I go to Colorado with a good group of friends. Thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie in camp. But, also enjoy the solitude on the side of a mountain...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Silver Member

I like solo hunting but rent a SPOT locator sattelite beacon from REI for my wife's peace of mind (and mine too).

The compromise is buddies going off solo in different directions but having radios to communicate when line-of-sight is available for signals to get through.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2000 View Post
Grew up hunting by myself, or with my cousin. Haven't had the opportunity to hunt with my cousin in 30+ years. Still learning the Elk Business. I go to Colorado with a good group of friends. Thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie in camp. But, also enjoy the solitude on the side of a mountain...
Sounds like my situation , this past year spent 7 days alone before my partner arrived in camp . (pure relaxation) About all that we share is camp location and helping one another retrieve game. I look forward to spike camping alone this season . I have at least a couple of folks each year hit me up about going elk hunting and the first thing I do is mention tents and that usually cuts them out . I tell them next that I will give some pointers on elk hunting but I am not a guide and will be spending my efforts on killing a elk that I may tag. I do enjoy camaraderie in camp but being alone hunting in the
Rockies is where the real deal is!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaro View Post
Solo - I don't like to babysit...
Amen.