Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Solo vs. multi person

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Solo vs. multi person

Hey guys, if you're anything like me you enjoy the satisfaction of a solo hunt, but what do yo guys prefer, solo or with another hunter? I like to have another person there mainly for safety.

Alex
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Solo vs. multi person

I solo hunt these days 80% of the time. When I used to back pack hunt 3-4 day trips I have a cousin who likes to hunt just as I do and we would team up as it increased our odds of success. We would hunt high country that both were familiar with and each would hike a different line 400 yards to 1/2 mile apart depending on the terrain ending up at a pre arranged place for the night. Worked very well and if either took a buck we boned it out and packed out in one trip. Totally solo it takes me two trips to get a boned out mule deer out depending on how far in I am. 5-6 with a elk or 2 with the horses if they are along.

I have done this my whole life in all kinds of weather and have never had what I would consider a life threatening incident. Can't count how many times I have had a bad fall or a horse wreck while being alone. Took me awhile one night to find the tied horse in a whiteout but nothing that someone else around could have helped with. I think the whole "being safe" thing has been way overrated....just my opinion.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

I used to really like going out solo but my last one almost ended badly and a string of miracles is the only reason I'm here to day. Don't leave without going with my old man or a buddy any more and have had some awesome hunts!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

On a backpack hunt I really prefer to hunt with THE RIGHT person. Two people that work well together makes for a very efficient sytem and hunting team.

Lately I've been hunting with my 9 year old son. It makes for more work than a solo hunt right now. I'm looking forward to when he can carry his gear and mine Our back pack trips are mostly for spring turkey so the weather is nice and the loads are relatively light. Bigger game and longer trips as he gets older
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Jr. View Post
On a backpack hunt I really prefer to hunt with THE RIGHT person. Two people that work well together makes for a very efficient sytem and hunting team.

Lately I've been hunting with my 9 year old son. It makes for more work than a solo hunt right now. I'm looking forward to when he can carry his gear and mine Our back pack trips are mostly for spring turkey so the weather is nice and the loads are relatively light. Bigger game and longer trips as he gets older
Yes, it has to be the right partner. I also hunt solo about 80 percent of the time mostly because I have learned, most of the time the hard way, that I am the only one I can depend on. I don't have to worry about backing out at the last minute, being late, dividing food, etc. I do like the company of another person but it is very hard in finding the right hunting partner.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Solo - I don't like to babysit...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

I hunt much better on my own and each additional person decreases odds in my opinion. on an elk hunt I usually hunt with one other person but I have no problem hunting alone, If I am deer hunting its almost always solo. Just works better and I think it gives you an edge.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad