Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
You might look into a quilt instead. I wont go back to a sleeping bag. Try enlightened equipment. Tim is awesome to deal with.
Okay Thomas, convince me into a quilt. Give me your pros and cons. I've been following a "quilt" thread over on rokslide and some guys like them and some don't.
I also went to Tim's site and liked what I saw but I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm kinda thinking that I would like one being my bag is open most of the time.

Thanks man!

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

I have a Western Mountaineering Goretex -40 overstuffed XL that I have used at -30 below high in the Mtns in Montana years ago at remote spike camps, It is the finest bag in the world. If its 10 above I have to open it up and just lay it over me. I'll be using it next weekend, taking Boy Scouts up On Lookout Pass, snowshoeing in 3-4 miles and digging snow caves and spending the night, cooking on a campfire and breakfast in the pit where the fire goes down to the ground. Cook on the coals in the deep hole. Most years its about 15 feet some years as much as 21. That bag from WM goes with every year, never got cold, never got wet, I can lay it right on the snow and sleep and have done it a few times to test it out. Good gear is worth its weight in gold when you really need it. Its not cheap, but the good gear will get you thru when other gear wont.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrapper1 View Post
I have a Western Mountaineering Goretex -40 overstuffed XL that I have used at -30 below high in the Mtns in Montana years ago at remote spike camps, It is the finest bag in the world. If its 10 above I have to open it up and just lay it over me. I'll be using it next weekend, taking Boy Scouts up On Lookout Pass, snowshoeing in 3-4 miles and digging snow caves and spending the night, cooking on a campfire and breakfast in the pit where the fire goes down to the ground. Cook on the coals in the deep hole. Most years its about 15 feet some years as much as 21. That bag from WM goes with every year, never got cold, never got wet, I can lay it right on the snow and sleep and have done it a few times to test it out. Good gear is worth its weight in gold when you really need it. Its not cheap, but the good gear will get you thru when other gear wont.
Man, that sounds like a hoot.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen

Last edited by mtnwrunner; 03-10-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Okay Thomas, convince me into a quilt. Give me your pros and cons. I've been following a "quilt" thread over on rokslide and some guys like them and some don't.
I also went to Tim's site and liked what I saw but I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm kinda thinking that I would like one being my bag is open most of the time.

Thanks man!

Randy
Im a side sleeper so sleeping like a "mummy" doesnt work. The quilt is open on the underside and u sleep more similar to how u do in bed at home. I got a 6' wide 10 deg revolution and its awesome. 23 oz and rated to ten degrees is awesome. I might be able to send u mine to check out. I could probably send it to you in april if you cover the shipping. I took the plung and wont go back.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

We teach boys how to handle themselves in the worst conditions the MTns and Mtn Rivers and canyons in the Northern Rockies. It makes them appreciate "Being Prepared". WE make sure they all have the right gear and are rigged up right to pull their sleds with gear in. Gear checks, sled checks, Snowshoe checks, food checks and we also bring a few extra things just in case. we've had -20, Rain, 3 feet of new snow overnight, and every thing in between. This is the favorite trip for most boys that go. It makes prepared young men, teaching them this stuff, and its a lot of fun and rewarding to see them do it. We team older boys with younger ones on digging caves to teach them well their first time out. Most of our boys are hunters also, so this is invaluable training for a night out with out a tent in deep snow.

And -- They all have GOOD sleeping bags, use tarps under them in the caves, use vapor barrier socks, extra clothes to change into after digging a cave, and plenty of snacks for all that hard work. Most snow caves actually stay pretty warm with a couple of live bodies warming it up inside.

Andy
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
Im a side sleeper so sleeping like a "mummy" doesnt work. The quilt is open on the underside and u sleep more similar to how u do in bed at home. I got a 6' wide 10 deg revolution and its awesome. 23 oz and rated to ten degrees is awesome. I might be able to send u mine to check out. I could probably send it to you in april if you cover the shipping. I took the plung and wont go back.
That was the same one that I was looking at and the mummy design does not work for me either. How does that quilt work for the foot area??

Randy

Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrapper1 View Post
We teach boys how to handle themselves in the worst conditions the MTns and Mtn Rivers and canyons in the Northern Rockies. It makes them appreciate "Being Prepared". WE make sure they all have the right gear and are rigged up right to pull their sleds with gear in. Gear checks, sled checks, Snowshoe checks, food checks and we also bring a few extra things just in case. we've had -20, Rain, 3 feet of new snow overnight, and every thing in between. This is the favorite trip for most boys that go. It makes prepared young men, teaching them this stuff, and its a lot of fun and rewarding to see them do it. We team older boys with younger ones on digging caves to teach them well their first time out. Most of our boys are hunters also, so this is invaluable training for a night out with out a tent in deep snow.

And -- They all have GOOD sleeping bags, use tarps under them in the caves, use vapor barrier socks, extra clothes to change into after digging a cave, and plenty of snacks for all that hard work. Most snow caves actually stay pretty warm with a couple of live bodies warming it up inside.

Andy
Andy, good for you----I am sure that those are the kinds of trips they will never forget. Beats the heck out of playing video games............

Randy