Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
Dang randy you always have some darn good advice. Instead of bringing a how water bottle I will bring my hot girlfriend! haha! keeps me a little warmer! I took her elk hunting in wyoming this past late december in 35mph winds, 5 degrees at 9k ft and she loved it. Now she wants to go with me on all my trips! I dont think it gets better than that...oh and she said she would be happy to help me pack one out! yea, a little better than a how nalgene I think!
Yeah, well, you'll never have to pay alimony to a nalgene bottle......................

Hey, did you get your cow?

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Fellas, I am pretty anal about buying things that are american when ever posssible. here is a bag that has my intrest.

Arctic Sleeping Bag

Yes it is 8lbs
Yes it is kinda bulky
but it is roomy and I believe it will be warm in any invironment.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are both American made with a long time reputation for top shelf products and service.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 AM

I have a rather large collection of old sleeping bags now, and after having been in a down bag for the last four seasons i can't believe how much time and money i wasted before buying one. Tried everything from 30 deg to -20 and never really felt i had the right bag for the conditions. Plus they were heavy and bulky. The bag i use now for all my trips is a North face 0 deg with 800 fill down about 450 bucks but i'm never going back. it's comfortable from late august through late november from 5500 to 11000 ft. At least thats my two cents, but it was earned the hard way. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAMNTMAN View Post
I have a rather large collection of old sleeping bags now, and after having been in a down bag for the last four seasons i can't believe how much time and money i wasted before buying one. Tried everything from 30 deg to -20 and never really felt i had the right bag for the conditions. Plus they were heavy and bulky. The bag i use now for all my trips is a North face 0 deg with 800 fill down about 450 bucks but i'm never going back. it's comfortable from late august through late november from 5500 to 11000 ft. At least thats my two cents, but it was earned the hard way. Good luck.
Amen! Plus they will last a lifetime.I had a W M bag that is nearly 30 years old cleaned a couple of years ago and its like new.All of the syn. fillers break down and loose loft after a few years
Tim
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Hi Tim, the best sleeping bag that I have come across is the Snugpak Antarctica 2c, now called the Antarctica RE, I also have a cotton liner for it so as to keep the inside clean and if I ever needed more warmth I also got a Green Fleece liner for it also, which I have never had the need to use it with the sleeping bag as it's just great, anyway I hope that it is Ok to post the link here,

(Fingers crossed) Snugpak Antarctica RE Sleeping Bag

I hope its ok to post the Link, if not Sorry in advance,

Hope this helps, Blessin's John

Last edited by mildot1960; 02-05-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM

I will bring my hot girlfriend!
For couples I highly recommend the WM barrel bags. We have 3 of different temp ratings + a sheet which zips on, so you can mix and match.
For cold weater we would zip the warmest and medium bags together. If it is cold, put the warmest bag on top. If this is too warm, flip it over, and you have the medium bag on top. Or generally pick the 2 bags suited to conditions and still have options.
We tried zipping mummy bags together, but you then have a zipper in between the 2 sleepers which you have to lie on if you are in the middle of the bed. You also need a left and right mummy to zip together. You also don't have the option of flipping it over to change the warmth rating of the bag.