Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

Hellas I am looking for advise on a what sleeping bag I will need to backpack in 2-3 miles from base camp ( where the rest of our party is ) during the second rifle season . This past season it was in the low twenties and I would get a little cool at night while in my browning zero degree bag . I was camped at about 9500' and the area I am looking to hunt is 10-11k.
I was sleeping on a cot with a 2" foam cushion on it . In addition I sleep in poly thermal long underwear , socks and a sock hat .
I am 6' 2 " 250 lbs so I am partial to the bag I have but freezing is not an option (I froze in 96' when it fell to 3 degrees and I was in a 30degree bag) . I will be only making 1 trip in and out so it is not a deal breaker to pack a 8 lb. bag if necessary.

Also those of you that that doe this type of camping / hunting what combos are you using ? and any secrets to keeping warm at night (diet, ect.).
Also I will be sleeeping in my 2 man tent .
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

Sleeping at high altitude sub-freezing temps requires a good bag.This is one of those purchases where one should definitely buy once, cry once.

I do quite a bit of camping in the Rockies' backcountry, early and late season. I've done the musical sleeping bag thing over the years but I'm an old fart now and finally wised up several years ago. Spent the bucks, bought the best and slept happily ever after

In my opinion, this is your bag:

Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Sleeping Bag: 20 Degree Down | Backcountry.com

Get the long version and pair it with a good insulated mattress.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

I'll second the W.M. suggestion !I use a Badger its rated at 15* has a full length zipper plenty of room and has never disappointed me even a few deg. below its rated temp.
Tim
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Actually i was considering somthing in-20 range. I see bags with this kind of rating but a third of that price , I can only guess you get what you pay for like most things.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

If you can deal with the extra weight and bulk for your short hump in then you might be able to save some money by going with a synthetic bag. There is much more to a bag's performance in the field than simply the temperature rating. Zipper quality, draft tubes, type of stitching, etc. A -20 bag that has cold spots due to econo stitching be used only once. A -20 bag that doesn't ventilate or breathe well when used in temperatures above its rating will be used once. The life span of a quality down bag is far longer than its synthetic counterpart.

Temperature ratings for sleeping bags are second only to political speeches in terms of honestly or reality. WM has the reputation of being on the mark with their ratings. Few other manufacturers can say the same. MontBell is another popular line whose bags have a unique design allowing the bag to stretch somewhat thus fitting a variety of users better. Very popular and well regarded but I didn't care for mine all that much.

I'm a cold sleeper, 6'-2" and a skinny 170#. I move around a lot at night and sleep on my side. I am a sleeping bag manufacturer's nightmare I spent years in roomy bags to facilitate my habits and was never warm because I had too much bag around me. I disliked mummy bags due to their confinement but finally conditioned myself to using one. World of difference. I'm warm and wear the bag which moves with me at night. I have a zipper that goes up and down as needed without snagging or binding. No cold spots and I can move the down fill around in my bag to customise insulation for conditions. Combined with my excellent mattress and a light base layer of clothing, my 20 degree bag will take me into the mid-teens comfortably.

When I'm doing the backcountry thing I need a good night's sleep in order to function properly and enjoy my adventure. Paying for my sleeping system was painful but I surely do it all over again given the results I now enjoy. And I won't ever have to do it again.

I strongly caution you against trying to economise this aspect of your kit but I do understand budget constraints. Best of luck to you in your venture.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

I have a different approach for you. Like you I am a big guy 6'6" 250 and know that when you find a good bag that actually fits you want to keep it.

My bag is a +15 North Face. Its great for most trips but I got cold a couple times when it dipped below 20F. Now with a better pad and a liner I can/have comfortably slept in sub zero temps.

First you need to ditch the 2" generic foam pad and buy a high end insulated pad. I use a Big Agnes Q Core. It's a legit 3 season pad that will insulate your back half. The pad is huge when it comes to keeping warm. And they make big man size 78x25x3.5 Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Pad - Free Shipping at REI.com

Second look into a bag liner. They can add 10-15 degrees of warmth to system.
This isn't the one I use but you get the idea.
Sea to Summit Silk Travel Sleeping Bag Liner - Traveler - Free Shipping at REI.com

With these additions you can increase your cold weather limit substantially with very little added weight and bulk. And it will still be cheaper than getting a new bag.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 PM

Western Mountaineering. I've had 3 of these for 20+ years. Keep it dry/dry it out asap!