Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping Bag ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 AM

Re: Sleeping Bag ???

I am satisfied for more then 15 years now with my 2 Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags - they are more then superb! Take the Gore Dryloft edition to prevent the down getting wet from outside - the only disadvantage is for You maybe, that they are most narrow cut...

I will always buy them again!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 AM

My 0 degree Kifaru Slick bag is very warm althoough I haven't been able to try it down to 0. It is light and compresses almost as well as a similarly rated down bag. I am very satisfied. As a matter of fact, it seems almost too warm in most cases. JMHO and I don't claim to be an expert.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Check these guys out. I'm ordering the Hunter Ultma Thule for my upcoming wilderness hunt

Wiggys | Manufacturer of the finest outdoor gear in the world | Sleeping bags | Extreme Cold Weather Gear | Fire Retardant Underwear
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM

I had one, got rid of it.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Dewey
If your talking about the Wiggy bags, what didn't you like about it?
Wes
Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

Chain, I am in the same boat as you 6'4" 250 lbs. I dont fit or sleep well in the smaller mummys and am looking to upgrade. I climbed inside a 6'6" WM Badger and 6'6" WM Kodiak and they fit well with enough room around the shoulders. I also tried tried a friends Montbell super stretch 0 degree long bag. I really liked the way it stretches out but it wasn't long enough to get the down collar above my shoulders with out bending my legs.

I am looking to buy a 6"6" Kodiak. I saw where there was a 20% off deal code "Save20" with o2gearshop. I couldn't get it to work so I will probably get it at one of the online places. still looking for something better than free shipping.

Mark
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

I have a Wiggy's Hunter with Hood bag and I'm very happy with it. It is a little heavy but I stay warm and comfortable. It's large enough to get clothes and other items inside with you to keep warm and dry out. On a side note... my Dad had this bag when we were in Alaska hunting and I had a brand name mummy bag. We got in exhausted and soaked to the bone after packing meat for 12 hours and crawled into bed. About two hours later I was shivering convulsively although it was only about 38 deg. Dad unzipped his Wiggy's bag and pulled it over me as well and in a few minutes the shivering subsided and we both stayed warm. Now we both pack a Wiggy's.

I just got the matching overbag and look forward to using it as a summer bag and in combination for cold weather camping.

This is not mountaineering gear but very good solid hunting/camping gear that is suitable for backpacking. I'm not saying these are the best bags ever. Just the best bags in the price range I find acceptable for what I do. My hunts go a lot better when I'm comfortable and well rested. I learned my lesson on choosing on weight and size alone.

Gene