Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping Bag ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sleeping Bag ???

Quote:

Synthetic bags don't compress very well -and over time they lose their lofting ability -so not as warm -no bag will keep you warm if you let your bag get wet..

Synthetic bags donít compress as well as down but with a compression bag you can get them reasonable. All bags loose there loft with time but can be recovered with a good cleaning. In a wet or damp environment a synthetic filled bag absorbs less moisture then down and will dry much faster. If weight and size is the priority then a good down bag is the way to go but in a damp environment they donít perform as well as most synthetics.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys. The "Base Bag" looks like it fill fit my needs perfectly. Calling Kifaru today. Thanks again
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM

I will add that I own and use bags by Western Mountaineering, Integral Designs, Feathered Friends and, best of all, Valandre. I also had an original, US-made Marmot Mtn. bag for many years.

My choice for hunting and a few other uses, is the Integral Designs North Twin/Andromeda Overbag combo, depicted on their website in the "special" section. This is the best synthetic bag(s) I have ever used or seen in 45 years of active backpack camping.

I prefer good down bags for most uses and Valandre of France currently makes the finest I have seen, with ID, WM and maybe FF right up there. ID makes their bags in a long/broad size that would be perfect for a really big guy and I prefer their "broad" bags for my hunting uses...am into my fourth year with mine and am totally happy with them.

I have used a whack of Kifaru gear, but, not their sleeping bags, so, cannot say anything about them. I would say, tho', that many synthetic bags often are not as "warm" as the makers suggest and I would opt for a warmer bag if my uses went to -0 temps.

Down bags work just fine in damp climates as I have found in B.C., but, require more care and cost more, however, they tend to last longer, so...............
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

I bought a synthetic 0 degree back last year and froze my but off. I ended up hiking 6 miles back to my rig to pack my 30 pound elk hunter bag to my spike camp. Don't skimp on the rating or you will be sorry.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

Imo, western mountaineering all the way, and a down bag will last at least 5 times longer than synthetic.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Purchased a North Face goose down 4 season some 20yrs ago and its still one hell of a good bag.

For me goose down is the only way to go.

Had some very comfortable warm nights in the Himalayas and the alps over the years.

My advice is pay the bucks and get a good nights sleep.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Still shopping. Thanks for all the info.