Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Sleeping Bag ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

Sleeping Bag ???

Looking to get a sleeping bag for fall/winter hunting backpacking. I was thinking of a temp. rating of 0+. I am 6' 4" and in the fall about 240 lbs. I would like it to compress as small as possible for packing. Wieght is also an issue, my legs aren't young anymore. All advice appreciated. Thank you
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sleeping Bag ???

I'm definitely no expert on this but I'm investigating the same thing and I work with a guy who does a lot of mountaineering (Himalaya's, Patagonia, Swiss Alps, etc.) and he claims that you can't beat the Marmot sleeping bags. They have at least 1 that is rated for 0 degrees F and a couple of mountaineering bags that are rated for -20 and -40 degrees F (you could always unzip). He also recommended getting a silk sack to put inside of the bags which will help keep the bags clean and gives you about another 5 degrees of warmth. They also come in Long sizes which I think go to about 6' 6". He says it's important to keep them dry because they're down and once they're wet they're not nearly as warm. He has one and says that at -20 degrees F he sleeps very nicely in a tent.

Cross
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

I donít use down bags anymore sense I started using horses so I donít know what is the best today but there are a couple things I will say. The North Face makes a fine line of sleeping bags both down and artificial fill and donít think you could go wrong with one as I have used them for years and have a artificial bag that I use today. The other thing is give some serious thought to the -20 and -40 bags. I have never owned one that would make you comfortable at the advertized temperature. My -20 is good to zero when in a tent and less when without cover. If you hunt early fall and have more rain then snow and your living out of your backpack the down bags if wet are worthless.

Good luck on your choice

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Gold Member

My recommendation: MSS ECWS....Modular Sleep System Extreme Cold Weather System with a Thermarest sleeping pad.

Real US Military Modular Sleep System ECWS: 4 Parts - eBay (item 380108488358 end time Mar-07-09 12:12:08 PST)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
Looking to get a sleeping bag for fall/winter hunting backpacking. I was thinking of a temp. rating of 0+. I am 6' 4" and in the fall about 240 lbs. I would like it to compress as small as possible for packing. Wieght is also an issue, my legs aren't young anymore. All advice appreciated. Thank you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Mountaineering makes some of the best bags in the world -very lightweight and compressable w/ 850+ goosedown and three different exterior materials to suit your weather conditions.
I have a WM mity-lite rated to 40* and i'm getting ready to order a sycamore mf [micro-fiber] model rated to 25* ,i can use the mity-lite and the sycamore together for mountain winter camping.
Get yourself a quality down coat [WM] to make the bag more even more usefull.

Our countries ecomony is suffering badly partly due too people not buying american -i buy american when i feel the product is -as good- or better -and i feel that WM is better than most sleeping bags.
Trust me you could sell a WM bag for only a small loss if need be -you very rarely ever see a WM bag for sale.
Buy AMERICAN !! -Mike
Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Back to say i've never read/heard of a WM bag that didn't live up to it's temp. rating .

Synthetic bags don't compress very well -and over time they lose their lofting ability -so not as warm -no bag will keep you warm if you let your bag get wet..
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Read about this:

Base Bag