Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Ski Poles ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Re: Ski Poles ???

I have used them since about 1971, am an old seriously mangled B.C. guy (62) and I still get into the remote mountains here. I also like Komperdell C3 trekking poles, but, good ski poles at "Sally Anne" are much cheaper, easy to camo and very tough under sudden heavy load, as in my falling with a pack/rifle.

The only real "downside" is that they are a bit of a pita to transport on horses or in a small plane. Get some, they really do help!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

I've been using collapse-able trekking poles for a long time, both, summer hiking, spring/fall hunting and winter backcountry snow/splitboarding. They've been especially beneficial portering where I'm often hauling loads in excess of 100lbs. for as much as 20mi. over up and down a couple thousand vertical feet.

Past couple years I've been using poles in replace of shooting sticks. Since I'm carrying them anyway.

I just wrap a Voile ski strap around the shaft, stuff a glove or whatever in the top of the X to rest the rifle on and it's good to go. Since they are collapse-able I can adjust them to any height I need.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
I've been using collapse-able trekking poles for a long time, both, summer hiking, spring/fall hunting and winter backcountry snow/splitboarding. They've been especially beneficial portering where I'm often hauling loads in excess of 100lbs. for as much as 20mi. over up and down a couple thousand vertical feet.

Past couple years I've been using poles in replace of shooting sticks. Since I'm carrying them anyway.

I just wrap a Voile ski strap around the shaft, stuff a glove or whatever in the top of the X to rest the rifle on and it's good to go. Since they are collapse-able I can adjust them to any height I need.

Nice. I might try that.

Paul
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ked Horn View Post
Wobbly? Maybe. Old?? Never.
+1

Wobbly? Maybe. Dead? sooner? if I keep this up.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
My knee knobs is wore out and am very shaky walking and hiking. I was thinking about going to flea market in Springs and getting two used ski poles to use when hunting-hiking. I got the idea off a stone sheep hunt I seen on tv. It was old guy like me climbing in B.C. with a pretty heavy looking pack and he has ski poles as an aid. Just wondering is anyone else uses ski poles as a backpacking aid when hunting???
It doesnt matter how old you are ski poles/walking staffs are a very good idea !!!!!

They help your balance and adds a third leg when going up or down hill ,and on rough terrain
may keep you from a fall with that expensive rifle.

If you can back pack every thing then two poles are even better, and using you arms can
take some of the work off of the legs giving you more stamina for that long hike.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 06-09-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wlfdg,
+ 1, I agree with Paul, using sky poles as a bipod is a good idea. Might be handy someday. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Wlfdg,
+ 1, I agree with Paul, using sky poles as a bipod is a good idea. Might be handy someday. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome