Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Shoulder Strap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Shoulder Strap?

Do you use a shoulder strap? if so what would you recomend.
I have on on my .35 I think its made by uncle Mikes it a Neoprene real nice on my shoulder.
makes my rifle feel like its 2lbs.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shoulder Strap?

kc,
Do you mean a shoulder strap to carry the rifle?
I always have it with the rifle, it is very handy and useful. I have a leather one, but my rifle is light also, so I dont worry to much about that.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

The widest thick, yet very pliable, leather sling I can make with the materials I have. 2inch min. but 3 1/4 inches is my favorite. I do have a wide leather store bought one also, but its seen some years. I got it 21 years ago as a 13 year old kid for my Model-70, 30-06. Still on that rifle and in great shape as a matter of fact.
I guess im more into the traditional look and feel. Wood stocked, blued barreled, leather slinged Winchesters. Wadda-ya expect, I grew up on the ranch. My Colt is in a leaather holster and bullet belt too.
(Shhhhh, dont tell anyone, but I have a XD .40 in a Blackhawk holster too)
I wouldnt want anybody to find out a cowboy has a plastic pistol in a plastic holster......and likes it

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
.....I can make with the materials I have........
That's my kind of talk..........

My six shooter holds 16 plus I have my very own personal Janome sewing machine.

I make my own stuff, to suit me, from shooting mat/drag bags w/canopy to web slings, back packs, fanny packs, nifty little thingers that keep the june grass out of my shoes, scope covers, rifle covers and about any thing else I 'think' I need.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
That's my kind of talk..........

My six shooter holds 16 plus I have my very own personal Janome sewing machine.

I make my own stuff, to suit me, from shooting mat/drag bags w/canopy to web slings, back packs, fanny packs, nifty little thingers that keep the june grass out of my shoes, scope covers, rifle covers and about any thing else I 'think' I need.
If I only had a job......... I would like to use something other than an awl and waxed srting. Oh well. Someday Ill be able to look back and say ''That sucked, but now I have all the toys one needs to be self reliant''.
Way to go Roy. Im curious as to just what thoes '' NIFTY THINGERS'' are. Sounds simmilar to wader cuffs.

Ill see if my wife can put a pic or two of a couple slings onto my photobucket so I can post them. Might be week or two, my daughter turnned 3 yesterday, and her party is Saturday (right before I leave for my annual bear hunt).

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

I've grown fond of an Allen sling I got for duck hunting. It's got a super thick and comfy pad, camo matches my Mossberg, even holds a few shells. They make rifle versions with smaller loops. Supposedly it floats to some extent, but I dont really want to throw my shotty in the river to prove it. It will never outlast or look as good as the leather, but it was cheap($14, I think) and comfy enough that I reach over the leather one to grab it almost everytime. Sorry guys, but someone had to say it.

p.s. WINMAG, I'm picking up my XDM .45 in ten days, so you won't be the only one!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
SPONSOR

For lightweight rifles, I like the Michaels Mountain Rifle sling. Its a simple nylon sling with a grip surface under the shoulder portion to keep it from slipping off or back on your shoulder. For heavier rifles, it's hard to beat the Timber Butte Outdoors Outlaw sling. They've got neoprene under the shoulder straps and they're available with quick release buckles. Of course this is an unsolicited and unbiased opinion....since I'm TBO Prostaff!

Tim