Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

secret backpacking recipes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: secret backpacking recipes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
This is the type info I was looking for....Thanks...... BTW what type of dehydrator do you have??
I'd have to go dig it out but it's just a cheap plastic circular one you can find at WalMart or Target but it works fine. My brother has a really nice metal square tray one that seems like it would be much more durable for regular use. I use it a few times a year to make backpacking food and dry some fruit and it's still running fine after 5 years or so.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Here is my favorite website for dehydrated backpacking foods. It shows a great way to package your meals for long trips. click on the packing and storing link on the left.

I love good food and was always bummed at eating mac and cheese and ramen noodles till I discovered my dehydrator and its uses. This site helped clear up my thinking on how I pack foods and eat on my hunts.

Backpacking Food for the Soul

There are a lot of websites with some great original recipes I'm sure you will find as I did that you can eat exceptionally well out in the back areas.

Best of luck and enjoy.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Yep that's a great site. One of the ones I learned about boil only dinners and using cosies, etc. Food is much better and CHEAPER when you make it compared to the prepackaged deals from REI.

This page about packaging and labeling is fantastic! http://www.backpackingchef.com/vacuum-seal-bags.html
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Oatmeal:
Everyone here cites Oatmeal for breakfast...I pre-package all my own oatmeal using Quaker old fashioned rolled oats, not the instant--I think the flavor is better.

That said, if it isn't berry season (depends where you are) you can do a couple things to make these more interesting and varied.

I like freeze-dried fruit or berries berries like rasberries, blueberries, apples and Peaches will make your breakfast something you not only look forward to but you get added vitamins and calories without much weight penalty.

Next favorite is pecans and brown sugar or walnuts and brown sugar--add a little salt 1/8tsp to make up for the electrolytes you're going to lose in your morning hike...plus it's just a little tastier. If you can find maple sugar or make your own it's also a nice variation.

Grits:
The ONLY place you should ever make or eat instant grits is while backpacking. Do not do this at home, any self respecting southerner would have a &^*t fit (I'm a Yankee--living in Virginia). I carry dried cheeze like real grated parmasean or reggiano - add fresh cracked pepper and pre-cooked/crumbled bacon and you've got a pretty good breakfast if you like something hearty rather than sweet for breakfast. You can find maple grits if you like a sweet version, but I stick to plain, cheeze or butter instant grits.

I don't like freeze dried eggs, but if you need/want some protein you can go this route...I think it tastes like crap--even the ones in MRE's make me a little nauseaus...

Matt