Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

secret backpacking recipes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

secret backpacking recipes???

OK guys, lets here the secrets that you keep about backpack hunting food. I have tried the mountain house, and like some of them, but I bet there are other meals that are just as light and easy to prepare, at a fraction of the cost. I know many carry instant oatmeal, but what are some of the other things that you have discovered along the way.I know you can get instant loaded baked potatoes in the package for about 1.50 and they are awsome. You can also make meals of your own using instant potatoe flakes, as well as noodles and such. As for meat, you can get a stick of salami or peperoni that doesnt way a whole lot, and will last a whole trip if rationed correctly. I was also thinking about cured ham. A little would go along way in the mountains, and paired with a baked potatoe packet would be nice. What have you all discovered to take with you to the mountains,that is light, and cheaper that mountain house. Thanks for shareing!!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: secret backpacking recipes???

Think Carbs and Calories... Make sure the payoff is worth the weight of the item you're packing..

Aside from the obvious Mt. House types of backpacking food I like..
Cup-0f-soups
Oatmeal
power bars
candy bars
Peanut butter
Cheese crackers
Tortilla's (good bread substitute and good with peanut butter)
Canned tuna
Jerky
Instant coffee/cocoa
Gatorade mix

I have heard good things about Couscous for packing, I will try it this year..
Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Get a buddy in National guard and get hold of MRE's Most of the time they are free. Ramen Noodles are good and high in Carbs. Two of my light weight ideas.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

MRE's are not lightweight!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Most MRE's are 1500 to 2500 Calories per meal as they are for the TROOPS that are on the move and BURNING up the calories fine if you are doing a lot of walking and climbing on your hunting trip so use wisely.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

I dehydrate all my own food. MT House is too expensive, the portions are always too small and they also tend to have a ton of salt. Two of my standbys are a chicken, rice and broccoli thing and also Shepard's pie. Couscous and instant rice are your friends. I carry an old coffee travel mug with the handle cut off that I use as a cozy.

For the chicken dish I boil chicken meat which helps remove the fat. Cook it in a broth like Mexican food and it comes out real good. Once it's cooked pat it dry on paper towels and then put it in the dehydrator until it's dry. I also dry out steamed broccoli and grind the two of them up along with dried onions and garlic. Add some instant rice in to a ziplock and will keep in the fridge for a season. Once on the trail I simply boil some water in my cup over a backpacking stove and then add it to the dried food inside my travel mug. Put the lid on and in 10 min. it's perfectly cooked. I carry a little bottle of olive oil to add as well.

For Shepard's pie I dehydrate peas and corn and then some lean ground beef that has been browned in a pan with onion/garlic and then patted on paper towels. Add to a ziplock with some dried mashed potatoes and follow the same procedure as above.

For breakfast I use instant oatmeal or granola and powdered milk. Lunch is usually trail mix and maybe some bagels to begin with. A little instant coffee, the Starbucks ones are real good and maybe a flask of whiskey once in a while and I'm set.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
I dehydrate all my own food. MT House is too expensive, the portions are always too small and they also tend to have a ton of salt. Two of my standbys are a chicken, rice and broccoli thing and also Shepard's pie. Couscous and instant rice are your friends. I carry an old coffee travel mug with the handle cut off that I use as a cozy.

For the chicken dish I boil chicken meat which helps remove the fat. Cook it in a broth like Mexican food and it comes out real good. Once it's cooked pat it dry on paper towels and then put it in the dehydrator until it's dry. I also dry out steamed broccoli and grind the two of them up along with dried onions and garlic. Add some instant rice in to a ziplock and will keep in the fridge for a season. Once on the trail I simply boil some water in my cup over a backpacking stove and then add it to the dried food inside my travel mug. Put the lid on and in 10 min. it's perfectly cooked. I carry a little bottle of olive oil to add as well.

For Shepard's pie I dehydrate peas and corn and then some lean ground beef that has been browned in a pan with onion/garlic and then patted on paper towels. Add to a ziplock with some dried mashed potatoes and follow the same procedure as above.

For breakfast I use instant oatmeal or granola and powdered milk. Lunch is usually trail mix and maybe some bagels to begin with. A little instant coffee, the Starbucks ones are real good and maybe a flask of whiskey once in a while and I'm set.

This is the type info I was looking for....Thanks...... BTW what type of dehydrator do you have??