Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Scouts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Bronze Member

Scouts

So I'm thinking about doing it, that is, getting a "scout" rifle for woods, "mountains," and as a general truck gun for the ranch.

I've been over to the scout rifle forums and read most of the threads and I've read Cooper's writings/musings/ramblings on the topic but want to know what this group's take on them is. I'm specifically interested in the forward mounted scope since I've really enjoyed the AR's I've shot with red dots way up front. I like the idea of doing this with a low magnification scope on a brush gun.

I'm thinking a Leupy FXII 2.5x28 equipped with Stoney Point elevation turret so I can dial elevation if a 4-500ish yard shot presents itself (I'm not good enough at shooting in the wind yet to attempt a shot on game that'll need much windage adjustment out that far anyway). Further shots can present themselves where I hunt but if I'm going to that area I'll bring the big gun on a still morning.

What say you? And what would the lightest rings be for the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle? I'm thinking Leupold makes aluminum Mark 4 rings in one inch. I really wish I could get the NF rings for it but I think reducers would negate the weight savings.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Scouts

Seriously? Has no one considered one of these rifles for backpacking and the like? I figured this would be THE place to discuss such rifles - even if it's more of a medium range gun than long range.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Forward mounted scopes are attractive to a niche market; I think you can do just as well with the right action-mounted optic. (My choice for my lightweight/medium range rifle is the TR24G 1-4 Accupoint. I think it accomplishes the goal of a scout without the awkward mounting.)

Most here stick with normal scopes, hence the lack of replies. If you want a lightweight rifle (maybe like a sheep rifle), then you'll get lots of ideas, but it probably won't be a "scout" configuration.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadPilot View Post
Forward mounted scopes are attractive to a niche market; I think you can do just as well with the right action-mounted optic. (My choice for my lightweight/medium range rifle is the TR24G 1-4 Accupoint. I think it accomplishes the goal of a scout without the awkward mounting.)

Most here stick with normal scopes, hence the lack of replies. If you want a lightweight rifle (maybe like a sheep rifle), then you'll get lots of ideas, but it probably won't be a "scout" configuration.
Well the one thing I like about it are the sighting options for a pack rifle. Reports indicate that the iron sights are actually pretty good.

I've been quite impressed with the forward mount red dot but if I don't like a scope in that position then some sort of lightweight 1-4 in a traditional mount will be the way to go. Fortunately the RGSR comes with both mounting options so I think I'm just going to have a go with it and some Talley Quick Detach rings.

I like the option of creating a Hog Holocaust by mounting the long XS rail and easily having room for night vision.

I'll report back with results....
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

I had a Rem 788 in .308Win with a scout scope for 6 to 8 years. It was mostly a gun case queen. Never used it much after initial sight in. If it had been my only rifle, would not have had any issues. But, always reached for something else when it was time to hunt.

Traded it for a nice scope a few months back.

Not a bad option if it is your only option. But, why limit yourself ?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Scout Rifles are an extremely important personal choice. I predominantly use two types, bolt and lever. To me Scopes defeat the purpose of a scout rifle. The other hunters that I am scouting for outfit themselves differently. Some areas I prefer the short barreled 45-70 in other areas I prefer a large caliber bolt rifle with a center tang safety that wont rub open to the fire position. and that has a bolt lock that will not allow the bolt to come open without the safety being in the fire position. For me I don't see any need at all for a scope out to 350 yds with the bolt rifle, some of the guys that are quite a bit better shots than I am don't seem to have any difficulties out to quite a bit further than that. The Loggers in my area seem to prefer a 30-30 in the bottom of their tool box ( I would think that in back of the seat would be a better place but somehow they end up at the bottom of the crew box - go figure)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Howdy. Well, I just took delivery of the ruger gunsite scout rifle last week being that I recently just found out they made it in left hand. Wow, it is quite the rifle.
I had been looking for a compact rifle in a good caliber for awhile---I wanted something that I could shoot a deer or elk (or man if need be) with but also light enough to pack in the field and on a horse. And I also wanted something that I could bang around the truck. The gunsite ruger fits the bill nicely. I am going to put the Burris LRS 1 X 4 cqb illuminated reticle scope on it and hopefully in the next couple of weeks take a wolf with it. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet as the burris is 30mm and am waiting for rings. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen