Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Russell outdoors raintamer jacket and pant??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Russell outdoors raintamer jacket and pant??

I am going to wyoming on 1 september for an elk hunt and want to have good gear with me. I was wondering if this raintamer set it worth a hoot? I was going to buy the cabelas untralite stuff that stuffs into a sack the size of a softball. The problem is its about three times higher than the raintamer, and I dont know if its as good. My question to any of you who have laid hands on this raintaimer stuff, is it any good? How small will it pack down to? Would you rather pack this around the mountains with you, or the cabelas ultralight stuff?? Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: Russell outdoors raintamer jacket and pant??

I'm not sure about the raintamer, but I can attest to the quality of the Russell APX G2 L5 Cyclone rain gear. My brother and I each picked up a set from gander Mountain a few months ago while it was on clearance. We used it exclusively during our coastal bear hunt a couple weeks ago. We were on a 10 day hunt with rain 8 out of the 10 days. The gear kept us dry and was tough enough to last several trips into "jurassic park" without any rips or tears. It's not not noisy like some rain gear, and it flexes as you move. I can't give a lot of information about the packability because we were alwyas wearing it, but it is light, and truthfully I can't see that you would have any issue compressing it into a backpack.

We definitely put the gear through the ringer and it came home looking like new. If the raintamer is anything like the Cyclone, it's high quality gear.

Last edited by brentc; 06-06-2011 at 09:43 AM.