Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rivers West or Sitka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rivers West or Sitka

The only items mentioned that I have tried is the Sitka gear. I really like their stuff, but it is quite spendy. The founder of Sitka is starting up a new company, KUIU, and will be direct selling this new line very soon. I have a set of the promo clothing and can say the quality is superior to Sitka. It should be available in the very near future.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Winmag,

In Dec. I contacted RW about the broken zipper on my 5-6 year old jacket. They replaced the zipper, no cost but the shipping to them. You can find a customer service number on their site.

Tom
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

I use the RW and like it, my main go to jacket. Hunting later in rain below to snow at higher elevations, same day. It is warm, pants are almost to warm, if it is that wet I vary my hunt and speed
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

Strider: do you have any idea how the cost of KUIU will compare to Sitka?
Did you wear any of the insulation layer? The pack looks great, did you try it out?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Bronze Member

BH Hunter: The KUIU base layer is great. I used it in Wyoming as well as Colorado this year. It is high quality Merino wool. Very close to Smartwool except a little less itchy and a whole lot tougher. As far as price, Jason will only be selling it direct to keep prices down. I am not sure how it will compare to Sitka in price, but I expect it to be somewhere close. Hopefully somewhat less expensive, but it is higher quality fabrics. I have not tried the pack yet. They have only made a few protoytpes, but they should be ready for the market in April or so and I have one of the first ones reserved. I plan to put two to three weeks on it the Fall, depending on what I draw for tags. If you haven't checked out the KUIU website, you should. The blog page has a lot of great information on it.

By the way, I used to hunt fairly close to you in the Bighorns in Wyoming. I have family/friends in Sheridan, Buffalo, and Sundance. Beautiful country.

Last edited by Strider; 01-24-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

The best I have found is from cabelas mto50 gear it is great.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Strider: I have been on the blog for a couple of months now. I think a lot of us have a bit of Sitka, it sounds like the KUIU is going to be better.? Do you think KUIUis good enough to upgrade from the 90% gear? What improvements from that line are there? I am lucky to live where I do, I have hunted in the Bighorns a lot. It is awesome country.