Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

I use a Kimber 8400 in .300 WM with a Leupold VX6 3x18 scope. All total is 8 1/2 lb. I know the 26" barrel is pretty small but I don't expect to shoot it more tha I need to score a hit. I'm comfortable @ 600-700 yards, which is as far as I've shot game. I'm 64 and horse pack a lot. Even though my horse carries my rifle, I still tie up and walk a lot. I can't imagine packing a 12 lb rifle over some of the country I hunt. I guess a guy needs to make a choice or have more than one long range rifle for different purposes.

Ted
Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

JE is correct. Worry about pack weight more than anything. Go to the website "Backpacking Light" to really learn how to do that.

People who typically don't backpack in other seasons just don't know where to find lightweight gear. They think Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's r Gander Mt'n. have what they need. In most cases they don't.

My rifle is a .300 Win. mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker W/BOSS muzzle brake/harmonics adjustor and has a Browning "plastic" stock that has been pillar bedded. I have a Burris Black Diamond 3.5X -12X scope. At 10 lbs it is a "medium" weight rifle but gets it done to 800 meters.

But my sleeping system is a Western Mountaineering (made in USA) Megalite down bag and a Thermarest ProLite mattress. The bag is large enough to permit me to wear my mid layer insulated Down and Thermolite jacket and pants for temps down to 10 F.

My tent is a 30 oz. Tarptent Moment DW solo tent. Best solo tent design I've ever found.

I don't cook when hunting. All meals are "cold". (Emergency stove is a Caldera Cone Sidewinder TI wood burner & fits inside a 3 cup pot)

Electronics carried -> Garmin Colorado GPS. Olympus TG 1 camera, Bushnell 10X42 1 Mile ARC LRF binos.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

After packing a 12 pound rifle last year I'll never do it again, I picked up a Tikka T3 Superlite this spring and with a nightforce on it its just over 8lbs, I can make first round hits out to 1000 on 10" plates cold bore every time, barrel heats up quick and I can only get 3-4 shots before I have to let it cool down but while hunting I dont plan on shooting more than 1 or 2.

Personally every oz I can shave counts, I have some of the best back packing gear money can buy to save weight, most my trips are 7-10 days, food alone for that long is alot of weight, if I was only doing 2-3 day trips a 10-12 pound rifle wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

WOW this is a old thread that is still going. I can tell you I shot a prototype ultralight Weatherby before they came out with the final design of the off the shelf lightweight. Small titanium action, 22.5 in pencil barrel. and carbon fiber stock that weighed 13 oz including the trigger guard that was also carbon fiber. This rifle weighed 4 lbs 2 oz. When we pulled the trigger the recoil was so different due to the balance of the rifle that non of us liked it. This is the only rifle ever built by Weatherby that has a ported. barrel and this construction. It would be a marketing gem but a shooters nightmare. Our end conclusion is rifles that weigh much less than 5.25 lbs probably do more harm than good. They definitely do not have the multi shot accuracy due to the barrel heat and the shooter not being able to control the movement of the rifle. Notice I did not say recoil but movement. A heavier rifle, to a extent, will have less movement before, during and after the shot is placed. Ever try to pull a 5 lb trigger on a 4 lb rifle?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

"We have the technologyLighest Weight rifle components:

1. ACTION-> titanium
2. BARREL-> carbon fiber wrapped stainless steel barrel
3. STOCK-> good fiberglass filled polymer stock, pillar bedded
4. SCOPE & RINGS-> Your choice of scope for your distances and conditions but leep it light if possible. Aluminum rings (one-piece best. No ring lapping required.)

Recoil Mitigation

1. MUZZLE BRAKE
2. SPECIAL RECOIL REDUCING PAD-> your choice/preference
3. SHOULDER PAD (gel filled seem to work best but are heavier)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

I also am packing a very heavy rifle 13.5 lbs sendaro but I love the ability to reach out there with a purpose I hunt hells canyon country a lot I'm packing in 13 miles on foot with another 50 plus lbs of our gear (for two) in addition to my gun so I'm getting a different barreled gun but in the ultra version
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

Age , landscape ,expectations, level of fitness.I'm 56 now, I like the 6.5 idea.I am on a similar journey.I've done lots of solo myself, even horseback I find it an issue . Curious what you decide