Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

I would have to agree with JE Custom and several others here. The Sendero weight is just about perfect in my humble opinion for just about all the conditions. I have had light rifles to heavy ones, long shots and close shots. The Sendero fits the bill for me. Every rifle I have built will come in that configuration.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

I've been backpack hunting in Alaska since 1976. Mostly in the mountains. Nine to 10 1/2 lbs is about it for me. I read people talking about extra weight in the rifle equaling weight in a back pack. The two do not equate, for me. I can much more tolerate an extra 2 lbs centered in my backpack than I can an extra 2 lbs in a rifle in my arms, on my shoulder, slung off the side of my backpack, or even latched in my Kifiru gun bearer harness which is fastened to my backpack harness. I'm 57 now, but even when I was 37, I found it difficult to tolerate a 12 lb rifle package. Spent as much time loathing the rifle weight as I did enjoying the 6 mile hike in, up and down the mountain twice, and then back out those 6 miles with the added weight of a billy goat. 10 1/2 pounds is now about the very maximum for me. And 9 1/2 lbs is quite a bit nicer than 10 1/2.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Im jealous that you have been hunting AK since 1976.I have only done a couple black bear archery on POW.Youra lucky dog
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

I think it really comes down to what you want as your "effective range". If it is 600 and under a 6.5lb rig with scope will do it as long as it is a quality setup and you practice. Now, if that required range is 1000 yds a heavier rifle will be offer more stability and therefore more accurate first round hits.
You just have to establish your goals and try to find a rifle that will help you meet them.

I have a goal of "sheep accuracy" at 600 yds. I have several rifles that will do it and built one specifically for it. Its a Rem Model 7 in 7 WSM with a scoped weight of 6.5lb. it will shoot sub MOA to 600 yds and thats all I expect it to do. The best part is it is really handy to carry around and has become my most carried rifle due to the weight and accuracy. This leads to more practice with it, which in turn makes me more proficient with it.

The other heavy rifles get carried still, but after 3 days carrying a 11 to 14 lb rifle, the lightweight sure gives a little relief when the body is sore and tired.

Now to the backpacking portion of the post. It seems if you get the lightest and best gear you can possibly afford (including the rifle) and GET IN SHAPE, you'l have nothing to cuss yourself about on the way down the mountain with a ram in your pack. I am in the process of gathering light, quality gear for a multi day backpack hunt in another part of the world and have found a few ounces here and there are important. Technology improves gear daily and weights continue to drop.

Here's a piece i came up with but haven't been able to test it yet. Maybe this year on a deer or elk hunt it will get some use?abuse to see if it will hold up. I think it will.

Three 270 WSM rounds.

A look at the rifle mentioned above and another I'm building for a friend in 264 Raptor that will be 6lb scoped when finished.

Now if someone would just figure out a way to dehydrate water we could all carry less weight!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Dehydrating water is the easy part. The challenge is just getting it rehydrated when you need it.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:55 PM

This is an interesting question. I'm on a lot of BP hunting forums, and most folks like lighter rifles, but lighter rifles aren't as nice at long ranges. There is a fine balance there.

I have a Kimber Montana 270 WSM with a 3-10 Swaro that I'd feel comfortable with to 500-600, and pac-nor has another montana right now being rebarreled to 260 Rem that will weigh around 6lbs with a 2.5-8 Leupy. I'd like to think I can get confident to 400 with that rig.

One interesting thought I had is this......some guys use ultralight tripods for their spotters, but hang a stuffsack filled with rocks off of it to add weight and help steady it. Why not do the same with a rifle?

Mike, build me a rifle that weighs 6 lbs that I can add 6 lbs of weight to while out in the field and make a 1000 yard shot reliably with?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

A heavy stock is nice but a heavy barrel is likely to have a more positive effect on long range accuracy. One issue with ultralight rigs is relatively long, pencil thin barrels that whip about with the shot and are more finicky.