Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
you better hope your fillings are secure cause even with this muzzlebreak this things going to kick the crap out of you! I must not be as tough as some of the rest of you or I have just shot too many heavy kickers to want to do that again.
I bet it's not that bad, I launch 300 gr Bergers at 2800fps from a slightly heavier rifle and it's sweeter than an unbraked 270 win, if your getting throttled by a rifle the brake is not right or the stock is not right but if you have both there is zero reason to get beat up!!!! I also just put a brake on a 338 RUM that weights under 8 lbs and it was nice shooting with 300gr Bergers after installing a brake. I hate recoil and find no reason to tolerate it!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

I am hunting with a 338 Norma, 7-2 oz.bare.9-14 oz. Sling,loaded and atlas,300 gr.otm.I have no problem shooting one handed off bipod.I have shot it into 6'' at 1000 from bipod.Love the set up for the country I hunt and Im getting a bit older every year
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I am hunting with a 338 Norma, 7-2 oz.bare.9-14 oz. Sling,loaded and atlas,300 gr.otm.I have no problem shooting one handed off bipod.I have shot it into 6'' at 1000 from bipod.Love the set up for the country I hunt and Im getting a bit older every year
Another one of the top rifles on the site IMO!!!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Took this one yesterday with my elk rifle. 8lb as you see it.
592 yd. First round, cold barrel.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...-592-yd-elk-rifle.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM

I used to mountain climb a lot, before I started hunting, and I have some pretty light gear. Good gear is expensive but collect it over the years and its functional and light. Bivy sack, pad, Western Mountaineering bag=4 lb total. As a back up a 4lb Bibler tent that will generally stay in the truck. Layer with primaloft. MSR 3oz stove. Black Diamond backpack 3-4 lb. Powdered milk, oatmeal coffee, jerky, stay dry and light. I plan to hunt for the first time with a TRG22 .260 this year. With a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 scope it's 11 lb, which is a few lbs. more than the light rifles I've used in the past but it's such a nice gun. The only thing I don't feel great about it is offhand shooting. I think next year I will cut the barrel from 26" to 20". I don't mind losing some velocity for improved handling because my maximum range for hunting with that round is 600 yd. I like the new Barnes LRX 127 gr 6.5 mm, the groups are very tight at 300 yd. I'll be checking it out at longer ranges soon.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

I have two back country rifles. I have a Tikka T-3 light in .300 wsm that weighs 8.5 lbs fully loaded (excluding bi-pod). It is incredibly accurate for a factory rifle and shoots 1/2 moa out to 600 yards. It is a little finicky though due to its light weight. My longer range rifle is a custom 7mm stw that weighs 10 1/2 lbs. This shoots 1/2 moa out to 850 yards and is the rifle I carry 90% of the time. Light is nice, but only to a point in a rifle for me. I just carry 100 oz of water on my other shoulder to balance me out
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Did the first serious shooting, drop, velocity, bc validation yesterday since rebarreling the 270 AM. Previous barrel was 30" and heavier contour. New barrel is 28" and smaller @ the muzzle. Same brake is used as on old barrel. The rig, all up, is at 14 pounds previous weight was a bit over 15 pounds. Accuracy and velocity are same as the old barrel. The big difference is that I cannot now spot myshot as well, in field shooting conditions. Just a bit too much recoil jump. I used to be able to spot all shots at all distances. That is valuable to me as I mostly hunt alone. Removing that amount of front end weight seems to have made a difference. I think I'll move from the Holland QD to an Allen Painkiller for a try.