Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Weight Vs. Distance capability...

When i hear this question i want the poster to supply brand names and all for.all.there gear that they are packing in with. If your sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent and stove weight more than 8-10 lbs then its cheaper and easier to cut.weight from your camping gear.than the gun.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
When i hear this question i want the poster to supply brand names and all for.all.there gear that they are packing in with. If your sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent and stove weight more than 8-10 lbs then its cheaper and easier to cut.weight from your camping gear.than the gun.
That is the truth right there... I still have a few lbs of weight to shave off my pack setup system! Not everyone does the backpacking thing and having a 12 lb+ rifle hanging off a sling isn't always the most comfortable way to hunt all day away from the pickup for some. I know that aside from this forum, most of the other hunting forums I'm on when they hear about building a "lightweight long range hunting rifle" they think it should weight in at 7-8 lbs scoped... Its much easier to convince those just getting into the sport to buy a 9-10 lb rifle than a 12 lb rifle.

Mike
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Banned

Weight is a great factor when hunting in the back country.
Have a semi heavy rifle for long range shooting and a 30-06 not
sure of its weight about 6.5 lbs for hunting in the back country.
Have hunted the Frank Church, Salmon river country Unit 20, unit 11 on the Salmon River
breaks, Northern area of Unit 36 in Idaho.
So a lesson in weight is a factor.
Put together pack and your othe gear then add 12.5 lbs of rifle with ammo.......it does add up.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Gold Member

Depends on the hunt. Are you going on a sheep hunt in the chugaks, a brown bear pack hunt. A real backpack hunt, days of food and supplies. Most people do not really back back hunt, sheep nuts aside. There is a reason backpackers cut the tags out of clothes, shorten belts and straps and weigh every piece of equipment. Weight does matter. If you are slinging the rifle effects are more felt. On true backpack hunts I use a lightend 270 WSM with 4.5x14 Leupold. It just over 7 pounds, I have never felt handicapped with the rifle. Again, it all depends on the situation.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsCanyonArmory View Post
That is the truth right there... I still have a few lbs of weight to shave off my pack setup system! Not everyone does the backpacking thing and having a 12 lb+ rifle hanging off a sling isn't always the most comfortable way to hunt all day away from the pickup for some. I know that aside from this forum, most of the other hunting forums I'm on when they hear about building a "lightweight long range hunting rifle" they think it should weight in at 7-8 lbs scoped... Its much easier to convince those just getting into the sport to buy a 9-10 lb rifle than a 12 lb rifle.

Mike
Here is the thing. To cut 2-3 pounds off of a custom rifle costs about $1000-2000. not cheap. very light weight rifles limit their ability to be shot well at any distance beyond 300 yards (not impossible). to drop 2-3 pounds off of most camping gear (going from OK to good...like cabelas stuff to mountain hardware) is about $600. lots cheaper. My complaint is in the backpacks. If I could get Eberlestock to redesign there J107 Dragonfly to save 2-3 lbs I would be golden.

Remember when you weight your backpacking setup you need to weight it in 3 ways:
1. pack and all other gear minus rifle, ammo, water, food and fuel
2. pack with all thats in #1 including rifle and ammo
3. all the stuff in #1

here is my setup:
Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly (top fanny pack removed)
Eberlestock pack rain cover
Mountain hardware phantom 32* bag
Exped UL med sleeping pad (15.5 oz)
Sierra Designs Mojo 3 tent (4LB max) or my UL bivy with face pole (16 oz)
Snow Peak titanium cookset 28 oz pot and lid (only 3 oz)
Trecking poles
MSR water filter (14oz)
48oz nalgene bottle
100oz camelback bladder
Benchmade knife
Med kit with extra survival stuff and batteries ( this is my item thats kind of heavy but after a lot of military training its difficult to leave behind) 3lbs
misc stuff (binos, spotting scope, tripod bipod clothes etc)

my gun will weight 9.4lbs all up when Im done in a month or so. its a 7 LRM and has a 6-24 vortex viper pst on it and a 27" barrel.

If I could cut weight it would be in my pack. my setup weighs in at about 50lbs with gun, ammo, all the stuff from #3 above with food for 8 days. not bad if you ask me. the expendables (food, water, fuel) weigh about 20 lbs of this. not bad.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I've been really looking at this rifle Straight Shooter Supply 338 Lapua Mark V , it's hitting every line for a long range hunting rifle in my view!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I've been really looking at this rifle Straight Shooter Supply 338 Lapua Mark V , it's hitting every line for a long range hunting rifle in my view!!
you better hope your fillings are secure cause even with this muzzlebreak this things going to kick the crap out of you! I must not be as tough as some of the rest of you or I have just shot too many heavy kickers to want to do that again.