Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Bronze Member

Check out the Badlands packs!! They are superb with a lifetime warranty....no questions asked.

Badlands Backpacks, Badlands Hunting Gear, and Badlands Equipment
Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

I have the Eberlestock J104. Awesome pack. Can carry everything i could ever need including my rifle very comfortably. Great packs.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstimac View Post
I have a Kifaru Hauler. It's comfortable and great for packing heavy loads. The gun bearer is nice. I got mine before they got expensive. Hands down, the best pack frame I've used.

Here's a link:
Freighter
Bingo...

I've hiked/climbed/bushwacked thousands of miles with many types of packs from daypacks with 10 lb loads to 130+ lbs loads cross country bushwacking in the North Cascades, etc. and for a hunting pack that carries your gun comfortably yet in a way that is quick enough to get in to action that if it was a shotgun, that pheasant would be dead...well, I haven't seen anything that touches what Kifaru does. I can just look at how the Eberlestock packs are made and realize that I don't want one--jmho. The owner of Kifaru used to own Mountainsmith and made some pretty good stuff. He has a good idea of what lightweight, strong and functional specifically for hunting means. I don't see that with most the 'other' brands. They are custom made to your dimensions and when you get an elk quarter strapped onto the freighter platfrom and carry it for miles and have many other packs to compare to as I have had, you'll understand what I mean. No, I'm not biased! Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

take a look at this months Eastmans hunting journal magazine. they did some reveiws on most of the packs people here are recomending.

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

JPRITT,

Give a summary of what Eastmans hunting journals review was, please.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

jmden,
How does the rifle scabbard sit on the Kifaru pack ? Is it side mounted and does the weight feel offcentered on the pack ? Also, which Kifaru pack do you use ?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
jmden,
How does the rifle scabbard sit on the Kifaru pack ? Is it side mounted and does the weight feel offcentered on the pack ? Also, which Kifaru pack do you use ?

You can go to Kifaru.com and see it. However, mine does not at all have the rifle in a straight up on your side configuration. Mine rifle more naturally angles from my right hip across my chest. I've found that I really like this. It's quite adjustable, so you can do want you want in terms of raising or lowering the butt and how much slack the strap attached to the shoulder strap has and mine just ends up across my chest. I rarely even notice it unless I'm into some really nasty bushwacking or a small bit of technical rock climbing. Even then it's not bad as the end of the barrel does not extend past my head (26" barrel--30" with brake will obviously cause more problems, but it'll cause more problems no matter how you carry it.). Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl