Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Rifle Carry Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Rifle Carry Options

Hi guys,

I'd like to get some feedback from the long range crowd on rifle carry.

In the past I've used a Kifaru Gunbearer setup but never got used to it or liked it. I typically just put the rifle butt in the side water bottle pocket and compress it, like this:

But obviously this has a couple of disadvantages. First, you don't have quick access to your rifle, and the barrel sticks up a good bit above the pack.

So if I'm in a situation where I may see game and want quick access I typically just shoulder the rifle using a sling. But slings are a bit annoying when they constantly slip off your shoulder. With our frame you can actually hook the sling over the top of the pack frame which works pretty well, but I don't know that I'd call it a perfect solution.

The crowd here at LRH has a bit different needs compared to most because you're taking heavier rifles, additional optics, and in general more shooting related gear.

What is your perfect solution to rifle carry? Do you want fast access? Would you rather have full protection of the rifle and carry the weight closest to your back? Or something else?

Thanks,
Nathan

Last edited by Andy Backus; 10-27-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Carry Options

You might want to talk to Len Backus, about advertising here on LRH! It's his site. Nice pack anyways!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Quick access is not a big deal to me. If my rifle is strapped to my pack, it means I am on a mission to get up to my camp site or glassing spot. If I'm in a scenario where I might take a shot, I have my rifle in my hands or slung over my shoulder. To me, the scabbard like Eberlestock Dragonfly promotes is added weight I dont need. I know that sounds ridiculous, but most veteran high country hunter knows that we are counting everything down to the ounce. Our first hunt we packed every cool piece of gear we own and might need. After one trip of packing around unneeded weight you are more interested in what you can leave at home, so adding extra weight to a pack for a feature that I (personally) dont think you need would cause me to not buy the pack. One of the guys I hunt with who is an average size guy owned a Dragonfly for a couple years and always had a hard time pulling the gun out of the scabbard. Taller guys probably wouldnt have this issue.

I have never been a huge fan of having the gun on the side. Although it seems like it is a great solution, I dont like having extra weight on one side that causes the pack to feel lopsided. I try and pack my pack as evenly as possible so I notice uneven weight distribution.

To me, I prefer to have it on the back of the pack. I think the ideal set up is to combine what the Outdoorsman pack and Badlands pack do. I like the pouch that swings over the scope to protect it. I have tall turrets and I want the scope to be covered so they dont get bumped and the scoped doesnt get too beat up. But one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to hunting packs, is when buttstock pouch extends below the bottom of the pack. I literally despise that about my current pack. When you sit down for a break, you have to take off your pack, or sit at an awkward angle. You cant just have a seat because the buttstock will always be hitting something. If you just sit on a log the weight is still on your back, defeating the point to your quick break. For me the best set up will be a pocket on the back that doesnt extend below the bottom of the pack, and has a pocket that will protect the scope. I always throw a gunsock over my rifle while going in to avoid getting all scratched up.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM

I have a large daypack/small pack that I use 90% of the time. I generally have my rifle in my hands, but it has a butt pocket located lower middle rear that lets me carry my rifle on the back of the pack. Butt is very slightly below level with bottom of pack. I can carry it outside or under a small compression pocket similar to your Talon set-up. A strap at the top secures the forearm. Outside is fairly quick access, under the compression pocket affords more protection. This system works well and allows some carry options. I prefer this over a side mount.

Perhaps tuck the butt in the load shelf panel (or add a butt pocket there) and utilize a strap from the upper side/top of the frame to secure the forearm
Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 AM

We had a guy take a butt bucket off another pack and add it to our pack. He compressed his rifle with the Talon on the outboard side of the pack bag, but the butt dropped below the pack. That's a pet peeve of mine as well because I've used that system in the past.

I like the center of the pack carry, both for weight distribution but also to get the barrel behind your head. If the rifle were between the pack bag and the frame then the barrel would be closer to the head, thus easier to navigate timber and brush. The down side of that is you're adding a potential discomfort spot in your back.

I'll throw another question in - what specifically is the difference in a long range hunter's gear vs. me with a Kimber Montana? I assume that it would be a heavier possibly bulkier rifle, maybe a bipod, possibly heavier optics? What are the challenges?

Good points so far, keep it coming. I want as many opinions as possible.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

I personally like the rifle and the weight closer to my body. Where your rifle is on your pack would work as long as you could drop it a little. Maybe a drop down pouch that the buttstock would fit in.
And as someone else said, you should talk to Len about advertising before ya all get into trouble.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChucker30 View Post
We had a guy take a butt bucket off another pack and add it to our pack. He compressed his rifle with the Talon on the outboard side of the pack bag, but the butt dropped below the pack. That's a pet peeve of mine as well because I've used that system in the past.

I like the center of the pack carry, both for weight distribution but also to get the barrel behind your head. If the rifle were between the pack bag and the frame then the barrel would be closer to the head, thus easier to navigate timber and brush. The down side of that is you're adding a potential discomfort spot in your back.

I'll throw another question in - what specifically is the difference in a long range hunter's gear vs. me with a Kimber Montana? I assume that it would be a heavier possibly bulkier rifle, maybe a bipod, possibly heavier optics? What are the challenges?

Good points so far, keep it coming. I want as many opinions as possible.
Yeah, I think all of what you said is correct. I hunt with a Sendero and swapped out the stock and added a McMillan Game Scout. My scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50. Swapping out the stock saved me half a pound, but is also made it a lot more comfortable to carry. The whole set up is heavier than your Kimber, coming in at about 10lbs, but I am willing to lug it around since I am typically presented with longer shots. With all the time we spend getting everything perfect with our rifles, you want to make sure it is well protected. Securely strapped to the pack, and if the option is available, scope covered. Thats why I like the feature that the Outdoorsman pack had. Offers some protection if you take a spill and hopefully keeps your turrets from getting knocked.