Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Replacement knee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Replacement knee

I am a sheep/back pack hunter in need of a new knee. Looking for first hand opinions on the different brands available.
Thank you, Steve Bair
Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Replacement knee

All the brands are very comparable. The most important thing is that the one doing the knee does them regularly and specializes in joint replacement.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM

What brand of knee do you have?
Thanks, Steve
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

The triathlon knee or "get around knee" is a very good implant. Most of the total knees on the market are very comparable. The first things first, you need a reputable surgeon. You can have the best implant possible, but if the person putting the implant in doesn't have a clue or doesn't seem to care about your outcome, then it's all for nothing.

I have been a part of many, many total joints. I've seen many surgeons good and bad. The good ones take the time to explain what they are doing, the implant they use and why they use it, and answer all your questions before the surgery happens. A good surgeon explains rehabilitation and peaks and valleys that might occur. Most surgeons use a particular implant because they feel comfortable with it and it is what's best for the patients. If you want to know more.

First things first......how do you know you need a new knee?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

The brand will be picked by your surgeon. You don't want your surgeon putting in a implant that he/she is not familiar with. Some use a couple of systems.

Brands that are most reputable are as follows:

Stryker
Biomet
Zimmer
Smith & Nephew

Some surgeons can do patient specific implants. Your surgeon will send in a scan of your knee and the company builds a model. They make custom jigs that perfectly fit the cutting block to the condyle of the femur and the tibial plateau of the tibia. This makes for a patient specific implant.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

You may be limited on what implants are available to you by which hospital you are planning on having the surgery done at.

As the previous guys mentioned, look for the best surgeon you can find and they will make sure they take care of you.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Smith and Nephew "The Journey" is what I've got. The only thing I can compare to was the way the knee was before, and it's much better now.

I limped on the original until it was tough to align the new one. I don't recommend waiting that long, but such is life.