Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Recommendations on bivy tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Recommendations on bivy tent

SHTF, good to see a fellow rokslider over here. Hey, what does that weigh?? And have you had it in any substantial winds??

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
I use a Mountainsmith Mountain LT. (photo below) Works wonderfully and is a palace for a solo hunter and roomy for 2. 109$ at Campmor you cant beat it. Holds up well in any weather. Im in Colorado if that tells you anything =-).

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Hey Randy Thanks mate. Just found this place. Looked cool so thought Id try it out. =-).

Ive had it in 45 mph winds out at Lake Wellington and it held up great. it weights in with stakes included at 2.3 lbs.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

We'll compare it to my SL5 for weight and room this weekend ;)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: bivy tent-> Tarptent Moment DW

In about a month Tarptent will release their Moment DW one man tent with a ripstop nylon inner tent. (Only mesh inner tents are out now in the Moment DW.)

The DW has 2 doors and one larger vestibule for pack storage and cooking (at the same time). A "crossing pole" is optional to make it freestanding &/or support a snow load.

I have the original Moment single wall tent and it is THE best solo tent I can find. Had it 3 seasons now. Getting the Moment DW next month for 4 season use. I modified a TT SCARP 2 for winter as well. Lots of room for two.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: bivy tent-> Tarptent Moment DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehiker View Post
In about a month Tarptent will release their Moment DW one man tent with a ripstop nylon inner tent. (Only mesh inner tents are out now in the Moment DW.)

The DW has 2 doors and one larger vestibule for pack storage and cooking (at the same time). A "crossing pole" is optional to make it freestanding &/or support a snow load.

I have the original Moment single wall tent and it is THE best solo tent I can find. Had it 3 seasons now. Getting the Moment DW next month for 4 season use. I modified a TT SCARP 2 for winter as well. Lots of room for two.
Just watched the video for this. Pretty cool and very versatile for it's weight. A little small in terms of floor space compared to the Rainbow, for instance, but would seem like a very good choice and with the new interchangeable inner walls between noseeum netting and breathable nylon (now where have I seen that before...), even more versatile... Bears a close look, no doubt.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

True, the Tarptent Rainbow is a bit larger than the Moment and has a large vestibule but it is not nearly as wind resistant, or as light.

I'm a geezer so weight becomes more important to me each year.
This year I'll be solo hunting/backpackingg in northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains with my new Moment DW. Here's hoping I won't need to carry snowshoes.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehiker View Post
True, the Tarptent Rainbow is a bit larger than the Moment and has a large vestibule but it is not nearly as wind resistant, or as light.

I'm a geezer so weight becomes more important to me each year.
This year I'll be solo hunting/backpackingg in northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains with my new Moment DW. Here's hoping I won't need to carry snowshoes.
Rainbow is 34 oz. with a floor of 23 ft. square. It is quite wind resistant if guyed out properly and pitched with an end into the wind.

Moment is also 34 oz. with a floor of 18.1 ft. square. With optional 7oz. additonal weight pole, it is freestanding and 'snow load' capable.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl