Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Recommendations on bivy tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Recommendations on bivy tent

Thanks for posting the link and info!

I used to post at backpackinglight maybe 10 years ago and wrote/contributed to an article on winter backpacking "stuff".

You could well be right that I was experiencing "misting" from condensation that may have been present on the inside of the tent.

However, I don't get this phenomena when using my Integral Designs MK2 XL single-wall. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention during those inclimate weather times.

Aside from this particular problem, the TarpTent Cloudburst is very well made and designed. Henry has a couple new designs that look very nice as well and I was in the market I'd be taking a long look at a couple of them.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
Thanks for posting the link and info!

I used to post at backpackinglight maybe 10 years ago and wrote/contributed to an article on winter backpacking "stuff".

You could well be right that I was experiencing "misting" from condensation that may have been present on the inside of the tent.

However, I don't get this phenomena when using my Integral Designs MK2 XL single-wall. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention during those inclimate weather times.

Aside from this particular problem, the TarpTent Cloudburst is very well made and designed. Henry has a couple new designs that look very nice as well and I was in the market I'd be taking a long look at a couple of them.

Is the fabric on the ID tent like 'Toddtex' used by Bibler (now Black Diamond) where there is a wicking layer on the interior? I can't remember now what the ID fabric looks like on the inside.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
BTW, if folks order a TarpTent, I find that I'm not too fond of the round Easton stakes they supply. I've asked em to not include those ($6 off) and then buy: DAC Tent Stakes, 6 Pack - Eastern Mountain Sports I think they hold alot better and because the stack/nest, they make for a smaller package. A package of six is perfect for a Rainbow or Rainbow 2.
Thanks for the tip on the tent stakes. I shopped them, but in order to get them shipped to Alaska, it was just about as cheap to order these Vargo brand titanium tent stakes from a seller on FleaBay. Titanium Crevice Stake

So that's what I just did. Will be interesting to see if titanium is stouter than the aluminum version.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

I think it's the same stuff - "ToddTex" and whatever Integral Designs used to call it - "TegralTex" or something similar iirc.

I'm not entirely sure, but the "TegralTex" seemed like the "host" fabric was slightly heavier than the "ToddTex", but don't hold me to it!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I think it's the same stuff - "ToddTex" and whatever Integral Designs used to call it - "TegralTex" or something similar iirc.

I'm not entirely sure, but the "TegralTex" seemed like the "host" fabric was slightly heavier than the "ToddTex", but don't hold me to it!
That's what I thought. My Bibler was the same way. That fuzzy wicking inner layer would most likely keep true 'misting' from occurring as well as reducing the issues from actual condensation getting bounced off the tent wall during a rainstorm. I was always amazed at how dry the interior of the Bible seemed to be. That fuzzy interior fabric layer had to have something to do with that I think.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Thanks for the tip on the tent stakes. I shopped them, but in order to get them shipped to Alaska, it was just about as cheap to order these Vargo brand titanium tent stakes from a seller on FleaBay. Titanium Crevice Stake

So that's what I just did. Will be interesting to see if titanium is stouter than the aluminum version.
Yikes on the shipping to AK. I've looked at those Vargo stakes and I'm sure they are a great stake--price was the issue for me, but for you, that was equalized it appears.

Titanium Tent Stakes

The DAC stakes are 7000 series Aluminum which, in general nearly equals the strength of mild steels. The link I posted to--those stakes are .40 oz, not the .5 mentioned.

There are so many different alloys of titanium with so many different strengths/weaknesses that I'm always a bit leery to buy titanium stuff unless I know what the exact alloy is. I'm sure these vargo stakes are made from the right stuff, however. That Vargo stake should be a great lightweight, stackable/low bulk stake.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 PM

I use a Mountainsmith Mountain LT. (photo below) Works wonderfully and is a palace for a solo hunter and roomy for 2. 109$ at Campmor you cant beat it. Holds up well in any weather. Im in Colorado if that tells you anything =-).