Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Recommendations on bivy tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Recommendations on bivy tent

Can be very nice to have a floor and bug proofing design. I've had bugs crawling around on me in single digit weather in my floorless shelter. I don't like 'em in my home or in my shelter while on the trail or hunting. Just me. No doubt you can go lighter without these amenities, however. Just depends what important to you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM

I've got a LBO from Seek Outside. It's pretty dang cool. I can use it as a tarp or a tarp with a vestibule to make it fully enclosed, and I can put a nest in it to keep all bugs out. I can also pitch it with another base tarp and a connector tarp to make it into a 4-6 man shelter that is wood stove capable.

This link is to a spin photo that shows the modularity pretty well.

Lil Bug Out Shelter
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChucker30 View Post
I've got a LBO from Seek Outside. It's pretty dang cool. I can use it as a tarp or a tarp with a vestibule to make it fully enclosed, and I can put a nest in it to keep all bugs out. I can also pitch it with another base tarp and a connector tarp to make it into a 4-6 man shelter that is wood stove capable.

This link is to a spin photo that shows the modularity pretty well.

Lil Bug Out Shelter
Does that design incorporate a floor with the bug netting to keep crawling bugs out?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Also check out Terra Nova tents. Good reviews and seem to be well regarded. I am looking at the Solar Competition 2 for this falls hunting trips.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Also check out Terra Nova tents. Good reviews and seem to be well regarded. I am looking at the Solar Competition 2 for this falls hunting trips.

Randy
Randy,

The Rainbow and Rainbow 2 Tarptents can be freestanding if you use your trekking poles to do so, just so you know, if that's something you need to do (it is, as I recall). Much less $ and US made as well. See vid: Tarptent Ultralight Shelters Scroll down and hit the grey video tab.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Bronze Member

Under most circumstances I do like the simplicity of these tarp shelters. I do think that I need something more like a bivy since this hunt is in an area loaded with rattle snakes. I'd hate to have one curl up around my head during the night.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Randy,

The Rainbow and Rainbow 2 Tarptents can be freestanding if you use your trekking poles to do so, just so you know, if that's something you need to do (it is, as I recall). Much less $ and US made as well. See vid: Tarptent Ultralight Shelters Scroll down and hit the grey video tab.
Yeah, I keep looking at those also. One of my issues with using your trekking poles with a tent set up is that I sometimes like to leave my tent pitched and take off hunting---I hate to leave the poles behind. I've got a tarptent contrail now and I'd like to have something a little bigger, and freestanding. Here is a photo of a typical setup for me using the contrail.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Recommendations on bivy tent-hunting-2012-007.jpg   Recommendations on bivy tent-hunting-2012-008.jpg  

Recommendations on bivy tent-hunting-2012-052.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen