Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Recommendations on bivy tent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

Recommendations on bivy tent

Looking for any ideas you guys have on bivy tents. Wanting something below 4 pounds and moderately priced. I appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Recommendations on bivy tent

TarpTent Rainbow--an actual one person tent, two in a tight sqeeze, as just over 2lbs for a pretty good price and made of very lightweight, tough material that I know a thing or two about.

One potential issue is the floor is also quite lightweight and doesn't have a very high water resistant rating. Take a large garbage can sac, cut along the sides to the bottom seam, unfold it and, presto, instant, cheap floor saver. Still be careful with this floor.

Most of the other lightweight tents aren't much better in this category in terms of durability of the floor, but most will have higher water resistant rating (measure in mm of 'hydrostatic head'---essentially the water column height [pressure] where the fabric just starts to have a bit of water seep through.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

I use a Big Anges Fly Creek 2 man. It is small for two but great for one and runs as light as most bivs. I also know guys who run just a tarp.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Bronze Member

You could always make your own.
Thru-Hiker: Gear and Resources for Long Distance Hikers

I like the idea of this, just need to find the time. I did some hiking with a friend. I thought I was going light, then I looked at all his "home made" gear. My pack was 40 lbs, his was 20 lbs. This was an overnighter in Dec.

Shane
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

I like my Kifaru Super Tarp
Tim
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

The TarpTent Double Rainbow (for 2) is also quite a bit less than 3 lbs and has a door on each side (side entrances are almost always easier to get in and out of than end entrances in small tents) and a vestibule on each side. Especially if used for solo trips the double vestibles will get a huge amount of covered storage space.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the info. I'm looking into these brands