Prolonging meat life for packing out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Prolonging meat life for packing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by proload View Post
Thanks Jim,

I'm trying to convince a mate of mine to join me for the trip to share the load, but if he can't make it, then I'll probably pack as light as possible and just take out the deboned hind quarters and the loins (and shoot a smaller female or spiker). I just don't see how one could carry more than that for that distance ... thats most of the good meat anyway.

I'm also considering the time of year and thinking of going in spring while there is still snow on the mountain pass ... the only problem is that the risk of avalanche is higher at that time of year, so I'm trying to find out more info on those risks.

I was also considering drying the meat in the field for a few days ... a bit like jerky or biltong (South African version of Jerky), but I'm not sure if that would work.

Cheers
What we used to do when I backpacked a lot with a cousin was when one of use took a good buck the hunting was done and we packed it out in one trip sometimes a very long day. I don't understand going as far as you talk about then taking a doe or spike. Find a buddy and go hunt the big guys. Good luck with your hunting.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
What we used to do when I backpacked a lot with a cousin was when one of use took a good buck the hunting was done and we packed it out in one trip sometimes a very long day. I don't understand going as far as you talk about then taking a doe or spike. Find a buddy and go hunt the big guys. Good luck with your hunting.
Fair comment .... But half the fun for me is getting out to the wild places and being able to see the deepest untouched resesses of our beautiful country .... Hunting and bring home the bacon is the other half.

But I do agree with taking a mate and going after the big boys .... because the area I'm talking about has big boys ... and hence my interest.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

I know this is an old post but... .

Carry salt and cheeze cloth with you.

Roll it in salt, pack it in cheeze cloth, and keep it shaded and where it has good air flow.

Our ancestors did this for many centuries prior to refrigeration.