Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Predators?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Predators?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
if you could just lay there with out shooting. i don't know how you walk around with them monsters hanging there. one cool headed person you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! either that are you couldn't move with that vacuum you had on the ground!!!!!!!!!! either way cool headed to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I guess the first thing is I don't see them as "monsters". I am actually quite fond of grizzlies. I have tons of respect for them! Perhaps just enough fear. They are a part of my life. Just like avalanches, seracs, etc...

And yes, I guess I could be considered rather "cool headed". My life's experiences have taught me to be relaxed in situations like that. I have a hard time with "normal" day to day stuff though. That's the trade off .
Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Well I guess the first thing is I don't see them as "monsters". I am actually quite fond of grizzlies. I have tons of respect for them! Perhaps just enough fear. They are a part of my life. Just like avalanches, seracs, etc...

And yes, I guess I could be considered rather "cool headed". My life's experiences have taught me to be relaxed in situations like that. I have a hard time with "normal" day to day stuff though. That's the trade off .
Reread about the monster part!!!!! Not the bears
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

jeff 300,

I give. You're gonna have to spell it out for me... You talking monster gonads on Wlfdg or what?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Hey Jeff, Not sure what you mean? Bison and moose? Oh is that it, monster gonads?

Phorwath, I've had grizzlies in my personal space since then. Had a grizz on the Dogshead Creek trail in Yellowstone walk up to me and a friend. He sniffed her wrist and rubbed against my legs twice. Once in front and once in back. I've been bluff charged within 8' of me. The bears you deal with are bigger and more aggressive I think.

Chris
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
The bears you deal with are bigger and more aggressive I think.

Chris
It is normally the case that our bears aren't acclimated to close human presence, let alone contact. Especially out where I'm in hunting camps. I have some experience with park bears that can get comfortable with human presence in the campgrounds. But any wild bear that approaches me that closely without that prior type of human acclimation goes to bear heaven. Something definitely wrong with such a bear in my mind. That black bear that stalked me..., I couldn't tell if he was curious, hungry, or what. I made a hasty move with my arm and rifle once in the effort to confront him. He just about bounded off, but then instead turned back and squared off with me, staring like a dog does just prior to a fight. This was in the mountains, a good 15 air miles from the nearest inhabited residence. That was enough of a display for me. Time for that bear to go. After all, I was hunting for black bear. One of the easiest bears I ever got. He actually found me rather than the other way around.

Last edited by phorwath; 10-13-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

It's a different deal here. We have a rapidly growing grizzly population in close proximity to a rapidly expanding human population. A black bear that close would worry me too. You just don't even see them unless you call them or bait them.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Amen any one that can do that has got a big pair of monster gonads!!! i would have been shooting like there's no tomorrow. Are is that SH!TTING like there's no tomorrow. No way way i could have stayed there. Man after hearing this stuff motel 6 is sounding real nice. All you have to worry about is bed bugs. VERY VERY COOL HEADED