Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Packing in vs. out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Packing in vs. out

Go to www.kifaru.net you will find the solutions to your pack Questions there.I had a J104,Ithought the flexability of the non rigid pack would allow better use on a mountain bike,WRONG.The center of gravity is to high and the pack seemed way to flexable to carry alot of weight.Tim
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvhunter View Post
Don't let anyone snooker you into thinking it is enjoyable. It's one of those events I love to hate. High alpine hunting it is the most exhausting, frustrating, thrilling and fulfilling activity I have ever pursued.
I agree and want to add that it is also a time consuming task.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
North vietnam transported a lot of war materials to the south using bicycles. A loaded bike pushed by a man walking beside with an extention on one handlebar for steering control.
After getting home from packing out an elk, I was watching the history channel and saw a video of North Vietnamese troops pushing bicycles loaded with supplies and thought that was an excellent idea and could be developed for getting an elk out. Their bikes had the seat removed and used a longer seat extension to hold onto as they pushed the bike. I have wanted to develop this idea for my next hunt. Removing the pedals would make it easier to push. Creating a net made of webbing would be lightweight and ideal for strapping one or two elk quarters onto the bike. This would also make packing supplies and equipment in and out of the back country much easier. Anyone else have any thoughts on this idea?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member

those single wheeled "Bob" trailers look like a real good idea.The center of gravity is real low and they are rated at an 80-90 lbs. load,I just wander if you could rig that wheel with a brake. Tim
Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have been backpack hunting my whole life even when packing in with horses it was the use of a backpack that got us up into the high bowls where itís so rough you just didnít want the noise or bother of a horse

Before we had horses we tried all kinds of wheeled contraptions to get our stuff into a base camp and the game out but nothing worked well except on a really good horse trail that wasnít too steep. In the rough stuff you would work yourself to death. Bad idea in my opinion.

Get a good backpack and equipment that fulfills your needs and go hunting. There is nothing easy about backpack hunting except maybe looking at the maps all summer but in my opinion itís the most satisfying way to hunt. Learn how to bone an animal out properly and check the regulations in the state in which you will be hunting as to be legal if leaving anything behind such as the ribs.

If you hunt mule deer by yourself like most of us and your packing out the meat, cape and horns of a mature buck it will take two trips. If you just load meat and horns and leave the cape and ribs and if itís not a big buck you can get it in one load not including your base camp stuff.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Does anyone know a good instructional book that shows how to properly bone and field dress big game animals? I have been looking but have not found a definitive guide. I would also like to butcher the animal myself, so if anyone knows any good books on butchering after you pack it out.

thanks
Ryan
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

on kifarus forum if you do a search of "gutless method" a guy called Timberline dida real good write up on it a couple of years ago.