close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Pack weight?

My pack weight does not include rifle,I consider that I only carry enough essential equipment to be able to hunt safely.
    Unread 05-14-2014, 11:23 PM
    Silver Member

I spent the winter gathering ultra light gear. I weighed my setup yesterday for an upcoming 3night trip the scale tipped at 19.5 lbs and that includes everything except water. On a hunting trip I would have to add rifle, optics, tripod and ammo. By the way in my set up I have room to cut at least 2 pounds if I remove a couple of items like my spot or my water pump

Unread 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wyodog View Post
    I spent the winter gathering ultra light gear. I weighed my setup yesterday for an upcoming 3night trip the scale tipped at 19.5 lbs and that includes everything except water. On a hunting trip I would have to add rifle, optics, tripod and ammo. By the way in my set up I have room to cut at least 2 pounds if I remove a couple of items like my spot or my water pump
    Can you write up your gear list that includes everything in your 19.5 pounds? Would be interesting to see your personal choice for what you bring and what you choose to leave at home.
    Unread 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM
    Silver Member

Kuiu Ultra 6000

Sitka Gear Kelvin coat

Light pair of Red Head Gloves

Merino wool beanie

Small first aid kit

Water proof matches and water proof container

Petroleum jelly coated cotton balls

Very small bag of dry kindling and dryer lint

Small head light (Pez I think)

NAP cable saw

Buck PAK LITE skinner

Kadyn hiker water purifier pump without bag or extra tubing/attachments (may chose not to use this)

Spot satellite tracker (may decide not to use this)

Eureka Casper 15 deg bag (3 lbs with comp sack)

Easton Kilo 1 man tent without sacks

Thermarest Neo Air sleeping pad

Cabelas back packing pillow without stuff sack

Mountain House meals for breakfast and supper (this can change somewhat)

5 Cliff Bars, 4 kind plus bars, 3 raw evolution food bars, 1 wheaties fuel bar, 2 pouches of Justins Clasic almond butter, 3 Ultima replenisher envelpoes, EmergenC packs, 4 maxwell house coffee bags, 1 bag of venison jerky, 2 bagels

2 Pairs of socks

Short tooth brush with almost empty tooth paste tube

Prescription meds, Benadryl, pain reliever, Imodium, allergy pills, all in small bag

Titanium cook pot

110 g butane canister and small butane stove wrapped in paper towels instead of plastic case

1 plastic spork

1 towel

Baby wipes

Emergency blanket (can be used as tarp, signal mirror, rain cover, and shelter)

Parachute cord
    Almost forgot....packable rain gear
    Unread 05-16-2014, 03:03 AM
    Bronze Member

Wyodog, I need to be able to hunt when I reach the Tops which means binoculars, tripod, range finder,anemometer,Knife,gun care kit,and camera I'm sure I've missed a number of other things but just adding up those few items theirs a few pounds?
    Unread 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by machiavelli View Post
    Wyodog, I need to be able to hunt when I reach the Tops which means binoculars, tripod, range finder,anemometer,Knife,gun care kit,and camera I'm sure I've missed a number of other things but just adding up those few items theirs a few pounds?
    Agreed machiaveli, I stated in a prior post that may pack weight did not included those items, which I think is the only effective way to talk about pack weight because of all the variables that happen with personal choices on weapons, optics, water etc. thee is a huge difference in weight between my longrange rifle, compound bow and long bow (18 0z) ammo weight changes by caliber as well. there are other items that I didn't mention that in the pack as well. I think I could swap my spot and water filer for a nearly even weight with a camera and range finder. Some times I carry a spotting scope and sometimes I don't. I always carry a tripod and binoculars. I could weight those items if someone was interested in the outcome. I could also drop a pound or more if I used a down sleeping bag
    Some of the items I didn't mention are; duct tape, map cut to get rid of the parts I don't need, zip ties. I also didn't have the game bags in the pack when I weighed it but they are only a few ozs changes with species I am hunting. my pack weight did include a knife "Buck Lite Skinner". I do carry a wind speed indicator as well.I also use a Leica 1600B rangefinder. my gun kit for back packing consist of a bore snake and barrel condom. I don't always take the barrel snake.

Last edited by Wyodog; 05-16-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: need correction
    Unread 05-17-2014, 12:37 AM
    Silver Member

Ya I'm at 35lbs for 5 days but that's with no water or my rifle or bow!