Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Pack weight?

Hi, I'm just sorting out my gear for a three day two night hunt, I'll be hunting from the bush line out on to the tops (Paparoas mountain range, west coast, south island, NZ.) Now how ever much I try I cannot seemed to get my total pack weight down below 45LB (20.5Kgs) that is everything, just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli View Post
Hi, I'm just sorting out my gear for a three day two night hunt, I'll be hunting from the bush line out on to the tops (Paparoas mountain range, west coast, south island, NZ.) Now how ever much I try I cannot seemed to get my total pack weight down below 45LB (20.5Kgs) that is everything, just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter.
Well, not quite sure what all you are carrying but for reference, my pack for that length of hunt would be at about 30 pounds.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Forty-five pounds is about what I carry. What are you doing for water? What are you carrying for food?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

For only two nights I could definitely get my gear down pretty light, probably down to about 35. Although, my pack weight is totally dependent on the type of hunt I'm going on. If I'm setting up a base camp somewhere on the mountain I bring in the kitchen sink. if I want my camp to be mobile then I am very careful to be as light as possible.

And I am assuming there is some kind of creek or river where you'll be able to pump water from. If you have to carry water with you, then that will add up real fast.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Bronze Member

The single heaviest thing I carry is usually water. There have been times that I have carries up to 24 pounds of water due to lack of Ability to resupply. If fresh water is available than I carry a lot less. Katadyne makes great filters at reasonable prices.
When it comes to food, most caloric dense meals are also very heavy in weight. MREs are great for calories, but very bulky and heavy. Mountain house backpacking meals are lightweight but not enough calories in a serving. Plan on buying the double serving portions. One thing you can add to these types of meals to increase calorie intake is coconut oil. Coconut oil can be messy to work with, so just put it in a good container. Another light weight yet very caloric food is snickers bars. 2 bars a day at 270 cal a piece helps for sustainment.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

I'll echo what 82nd said. I think people also tend to get into a mode and bring every "just in-case" item they own.

Are you counting your rifle weight in that total lbs count?

Places I cut weight since my first backpack hunting trip are...
Rain gear...I go light weight over quiet. I like Kryptek Poseidon
Ammo...I dont take a full box me. Ten Rounds.
Food...One meal per day. Plus snacks
Knives...I take a havelon and a Multi-tool
Clothes....Ultra light weight walk in gear, then what you will hunt in. You dont need a fresh set of clothes each day. Youre gonna smell like crap no matter what.
Tent....Light weight tents are a must and there are tons of options.

Also, I think it is a must to hunt with a buddy. Not only for safety, but to split up things like tent, stove, water pump.

With Rifle on my back, my pack is about 35lbs.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Well, not quite sure what all you are carrying but for reference, my pack for that length of hunt would be at about 30 pounds.

Randy
Randy, does that include your rifle, spotting scope, etc.?