Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Rifle Project caliber selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Pack Rifle Project caliber selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
Thinking bout having a pack rifle built for ranges out to around 600 yards. i would like to not have it to light aroun 7-7.5 scoped. i have a short action so was considering the 6.5 rem mag or the 6.5x.284 but i am hereing the 6.5x.284 may have some feeding and seating problems on the short action. any thoughts ?
I would seriously think about a 7 WSM in that short action, should be no problem out to 600 yrds with the right bullet and bullet placement. you can build a pack gun with 24-26" barrel and keep it at 6.2 pounds before the scope easy.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrophyhunter View Post
I would seriously think about a 7 WSM in that short action, should be no problem out to 600 yrds with the right bullet and bullet placement. you can build a pack gun with 24-26" barrel and keep it at 6.2 pounds before the scope easy.
+1 on the 7 WSM.

It is a powerful round and well capable of 650 yard elk (1500 ft/lbs energy) and 900 yards
for deer (1000 ft/lbs).

The 140gr bullets can be pushed to 3300+ ft/sec and the 160s to 3100ft/sec+ .All in a short
action with a 23 or 24" barrel.

The 300 WSM would also be a god choice but the ballistics are not quite as good.

The WSMs are about the most powerful rounds available in short actions and factory
ammo.

There are more powerful rounds but most need long actions and longer barrels.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
Dan Dowling in Palisades, Colorado built mine. I collected the parts, lefthanded Rem short actions take a while at times, and sent them all off to him. He trues the action, chambers and beds for me. I had the bolt fluted by Kampfeld out of Michigan and swapped out the firing pin and bolt shroud with a lightweight PTG version.

Scoped it with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 with M1 vertical turret on it. It would be 4 ounces lighter with a 6x36 CDS equipped Leupold, but the current one tracks beautifully and is yet to miss on game.

He is a wonderful smith and is well known in the industry.
How do you like your Leupold with the M1 turret? I am looking at sending in my 6.5x20 for my 264 win mag to get the target adjustment added and turret made.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

The M1 turrets have been extremely useful on 4 rifles for us. That said, my most recent build is running a CDS turret on a 6.5-06. It is tracking very well and I just called in my free custom turret yesterday. You can't go wrong with either one though.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
Dan Dowling in Palisades, Colorado built mine. I collected the parts, lefthanded Rem short actions take a while at times, and sent them all off to him. He trues the action, chambers and beds for me. I had the bolt fluted by Kampfeld out of Michigan and swapped out the firing pin and bolt shroud with a lightweight PTG version.

Scoped it with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 with M1 vertical turret on it. It would be 4 ounces lighter with a 6x36 CDS equipped Leupold, but the current one tracks beautifully and is yet to miss on game.

He is a wonderful smith and is well known in the industry.
+1 on Dowling. I just got my rifle back from Dan last week. I sent him a M700 300WSM that was built by another 'smith. It had never shot well. After Dan went through it, the thing's best group is .30" and has shot .75" average with TTSX's. Dan is also one of the most reasonably priced guys out there and he's pretty fast if he doesn't have to wait on parts. I highly recommend him.

I also just ordered a VX3 3.5-10X40mm CDS for this rifle. I'm not sure what the final weight will be but I think we are going to have a long and fruitful relationship!

Tim