Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which pack for an old Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

Which pack for an old Man

I am 50 years old and have not had a pack hunt for 20 years. Getting in shape and want to get a pack to give it another go. Looking for a pack for at least a week long trip in the rockies. I am looking for the most comfortable pack as possible. For what it is worth I am 6 foot 210 lbs with a 46"chest and a 34" waist if that matters. Was looking at the Eberlestock, Mystery pack and Kifaro. All input would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which pack for an old Man

Old Man! Yur just a punk kid I can hardly remember what it was like to be 50.

A lot of folks use the Eberlestock but I'm thinking many more go with Kifaro.

I'm really old so my pack for long stays goes on the beast of burden.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

I've had Osprey, Mystery Ranch (Dana Design), Kifaru, and Granite Gear.

I've had one Kifaru pack, the EMR it was. I just couldn't get the fit on it down so I sold it.

You'll find that MR and Kifaru packs are made out of very high grade materials with heavy zippers (I like that part). Also the new G2 Kifaru packs are susposed to have a better fit/suspension than the old G1 packs.

I suggest you go with MR or Kifaru G2 packs and they will take care of you.

For me I have my own body type 6'0ft 270lbs 36" waist with large back/chest, and the Osprey and Granite Gear hug my body best at this point.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshooter View Post
I've had Osprey, Mystery Ranch (Dana Design), Kifaru, and Granite Gear.

I've had one Kifaru pack, the EMR it was. I just couldn't get the fit on it down so I sold it.

You'll find that MR and Kifaru packs are made out of very high grade materials with heavy zippers (I like that part). Also the new G2 Kifaru packs are susposed to have a better fit/suspension than the old G1 packs.

I suggest you go with MR or Kifaru G2 packs and they will take care of you.

For me I have my own body type 6'0ft 270lbs 36" waist with large back/chest, and the Osprey and Granite Gear hug my body best at this point.
Shortshooter, thanks for the info it helps!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

My 30 yr old son has a MR pack. He went right to the factory in Bozeman and had it fitted. All I can say after following him for 4 years is that he has put it through it's paces and it has held up like none I've ever seen. Every once in a while he just cleans it out and puts the garden hose to it and hangs it out to dry. If there is a down side to this pack it is that it seems quite a bit heavier than either my eberlestock or badlands packs. It is a matter of personal preference and all I can say is get one that fits your build - None of the packs you mentioned are bad. The MR will pack more than you want to carry in my opinion - I've seen it done more than once.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
My 30 yr old son has a MR pack. He went right to the factory in Bozeman and had it fitted. All I can say after following him for 4 years is that he has put it through it's paces and it has held up like none I've ever seen. Every once in a while he just cleans it out and puts the garden hose to it and hangs it out to dry. If there is a down side to this pack it is that it seems quite a bit heavier than either my eberlestock or badlands packs. It is a matter of personal preference and all I can say is get one that fits your build - None of the packs you mentioned are bad. The MR will pack more than you want to carry in my opinion - I've seen it done more than once.
Cowboy,
Does MR offer any type of option to carry a rifle?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Bronze Member

I would take a 10 pound day pack and a pack goat or mule. I personally use pack goats. Most old men in the Rockies try to avoid carrying anything.