Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack Llama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Re: Pack Llama

Outfitter I worked for some in CO taught me how to pack llamas. He told me all you needed to do was cut them in two and throw them on a mule......... Sorry, I just couldn't leave that alone. Seriously, though, I hope they work out for you the way you hope/plan. I have horses I use for lots of other things, so if I do go to pack something, one of them gets the short straw. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM

After having the Llamas for almost three months. I can say they are very interesting. I have learned a lot about them. They are coming along nicely. I have been working on getting them used to having their saddles and packs on as well as working with being able to pick up their feet for hoof trimming. I'm going to take my maiden voyage with them next weekend. I will post more pictures once I get back.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Pack Llama-img_20130616_203826_978.jpg   Pack Llama-img_20130616_203709_531.jpg  

Pack Llama-img_20130616_203609_272.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Very cool. Keep us posted.

I ran into couple guys contracted to clear trails. They used llamas. These were areas that fires went through and there was a lot of down and dead. I couldn't get a horse through it. They mentioned that they occasionally had some problems with wolves. From what I saw, they were pretty easy to manage and lined out great on the trail.

The one thing you wont get from llamas and goats are crippling wrecks. There's something to be said for that.