Pack Llama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pack Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChaseCoues View Post
Can a Llama keep up with a horse?
I don't really know either but. . . I figure if you tied the lead rope off hard and fast it wouldn't lag too far behind. . .
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Im sure it wouldnt lbe very far behind. I just hope it is on its feet though!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Field Editor

I was reading a magazine article the other day (can't remember which mag) where a guy was reporting on his experience with llamas on a recent elk hunt and said they walked pretty slow, especially when loaded. He said they only went about 1 1/2 miles/hour when loaded. He made it sound like he had to hike slower than usual because of the llamas.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Backus View Post
I was reading a magazine article the other day (can't remember which mag) where a guy was reporting on his experience with llamas on a recent elk hunt and said they walked pretty slow, especially when loaded. He said they only went about 1 1/2 miles/hour when loaded. He made it sound like he had to hike slower than usual because of the llamas.
Those that I know that have pack llamas are pleasure hikers not hunters. Speed is not an issue for them thus usually doesn't come up in conversation.

Hunters on here have commented that goats are slow when it comes to getting someplace in a hurry. My experience is that my goats keep me in sight. The poop along browsing on choice morsels and I at times get way ahead.

The only thing I don't like about that is that they run to catch up. It makes the canned pop way to fizzy.

If I want them to keep up with me I put the best leader on a string. The others keep up and don't browse.

I'm so old and worn out that speed isn't on my priority list. That's why I use LR rifles.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapitihuntin View Post
I'm a fan of having control of the animal that I am in the woods with. That way if your walking up the trail and hear an elk bugle I am able to tie the animal up and go hunt it without the interference of the pack animal.
Seems like one of the guys in the goat thread noted that his goats were right next to him when he shot his big bull elk - no problems.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

If your going to use llamas for hunting in Montana, might want to put some orange flags on them...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkidaho View Post
Seems like one of the guys in the goat thread noted that his goats were right next to him when he shot his big bull elk - no problems.
It happens many times that the goat is a detracts the bull from the archer.

My idea would be to squirt cow urine on the goats. An attract instead of detract