Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Pack for gun or bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pack for gun or bow

Looking at the Eberlestock J34 and the J107. Understand the J107 is larger but not much. (?) Anyone compare the two?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

I have one of the Markhor Ibex packs and find that to be plenty big enough and it's really comfortable and carries well ... but there are probably heaps of packs that do that these days.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

I packed out a "field stripped" whole whitetail last fall in an Eberlestock X-1. It comes ready to go for packing a bow or rifle. Never tried it with a bow so can't comment. But it will haul more meat than I'm willing to carry and my rifle.

It is daypack sized. If you're also using it for packing camp too you'll need something bigger.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 PM

I have an extra Badlands 2200 I'm getting ready to post if you're in the market.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Last week I received a Eberlestock J 34. I've been on some 3 miles hikes around the neighborhood and found it very comfortable. I got the 'spike duffel' with it so it is expandable from the daypack setup I have to full on backpack camping. Scoped hunting rifle without bipods is easily carried and accessed.

It looks like a bow would also fit securely but would not be as easily accessed as a rifle. I do not have a bow to try at the moment so this is a guesstament.

Jack
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM

I have had an Eberlestock J34 now for 3 seasons. I can honestly say that it is my favorite piece of equipment. I have packed out two entire mule deer in one trip. I hauled out both front quarters, the backstraps, and head of my bull elk in one trip. And I hauled out my black bear head and hide last year. The J107 has a little bit more ridgid frame and would handle those heavier loads a little better. The J34 is a little more comfortable on all the other trips where you don't punch a tag. For me that's about 99% of the time. I also bought the spike duffle and that pack can handle much more of a load than I can. I've owned and used a lot of packs and in my opinion Eberlestock is way ahead of the game. Can't wait to take it deep into wyoming after mule deer next year.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear View Post
I have had an Eberlestock J34 now for 3 seasons. I can honestly say that it is my favorite piece of equipment. I have packed out two entire mule deer in one trip. I hauled out both front quarters, the backstraps, and head of my bull elk in one trip. And I hauled out my black bear head and hide last year. The J107 has a little bit more ridgid frame and would handle those heavier loads a little better. The J34 is a little more comfortable on all the other trips where you don't punch a tag. For me that's about 99% of the time. I also bought the spike duffle and that pack can handle much more of a load than I can. I've owned and used a lot of packs and in my opinion Eberlestock is way ahead of the game. Can't wait to take it deep into wyoming after mule deer next year.

Good luck on your hunt!